2005 denali remote start install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwb5t

Reaction score
I plan on installing a remote start in my 2005 Yukon Denali, i plan on using the DLPK GM bypass module interface and a Viper 5901. i've been reading alot on here and other GM sites about the install, i have all the wiring pin outs and locations, i know i need to power the second ignition as well.

what i need to know is what if anything am i over looking or missing? is there a better bypass module than the DLPK GM? help me out and reassure me that i didn't over look something I'm a German car guy at heart, I'm new to this american SUV but I'm trying.

gmoney_2010

Reaction score
I would like to know more about this install also.. I replied cause now I will get emails to my phone when somebody posts in this thread..

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM JKmotorsports, he has a much better knowledge of the electrical systems on these trucks since he installs DEI alarms and remote starts all the time. Post some pics of your german cars.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DEI is integrating some of their alarms and bypass units so you can wire them up D2D, using a serial cable that connects both of them together.

The problem with that; Here is a link where one guy wired it up using D2D, and he was able to disarm his 5901 by unlocking the door with his key. So if a thief used a screwdriver to turn the lock, it would disarm the alarm. Definitely either a bad move or something that was overlooked on DEI's part.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~110678~PN~2

If this is true for all of the bypasses that can be wired D2D serially to DEI units, then I would request a manual wiring W2W.

JK, have you wired any of the bypasses in this manner?

Other than that, all the bypasses are mostly the same. I personally have the GMDL-BP. If I could do it again, I would try for the idatalink piece. With a one wire ground, you can easily activate your heated seats over the databus 2. The other pieces will do heated seats, but only if it gets cold enough or if you waste an aux channel and wire it up at the heated switch.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The problem with that; Here is a link where one guy wired it up using D2D, and he was able to disarm his 5901 by unlocking the door with his key. So if a thief used a screwdriver to turn the lock, it would disarm the alarm. Definitely either a bad move or something that was overlooked on DEI's part.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~110678~PN~2

If this is true for all of the bypasses that can be wired D2D serially to DEI units, then I would request a manual wiring W2W.

JK, have you wired any of the bypasses in this manner?

I use D2D on most of them. I never ran into the problem above, but then again, I hardly ever unlock the doors with the key. Nice bit of info to know though. I'm about to install a RS into a customer's CTS using D2D, so I'll check it out and see if it does the same thing.

VWB5T, even if you wire the bypass module W2W rather than D2D, it's still fairly simple. The new modules will make the entire install much easier and quicker. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or simply post them and Omar, myself, or someone will get back to you.

Last edited:

DenaliAnyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key entry disarmed mines as well and I took it back to the installer. The guy told me that my dome light override switch can not be activated. Yet as stated in the link from the previous post, if you have a 03-06 model you can cut or disconnect the lt. Green wire from the power lock module.

vwb5t

Reaction score
ok so if i have this right, i wire in the bypass module, and then plug in the d2d into the 5901 right? is there anything else i need to wire up or is it all taken care of through the bypass module, things like the acc power and ignition power or do i have to wire them into the viper as well.

also is the dlpk gm a good one to use or is there a better one to use?

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bypass (typically all of them) connects one wire to the truck, at the OBD2 connector. Using the databus 2 system, it does the following, depending on the model you use:

1. It "talks" to the Passlock II system and tells the truck that it is ok to start without the key (under remote start)
2. It reads when the front doors are open
3. It can send a lock/unlock signal to the truck

For everything else, typically:

Ignition 1
Ignition 2
ACC
Rear door pinswitch wire
Hatch pinswitch wire
Hood pinswitch (for these, you wire your own)
parking lamps, headlamps
tach
other misc stuff

....you will have to make the connections between the truck and the Viper itself.

Hey JK...do you have any online pics of your CTS? The CTS-V is one of my all time favorite cars. But I would probably still take a new Z06 or ZR1 over it.

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Hey JK...do you have any online pics of your CTS? The CTS-V is one of my all time favorite cars. But I would probably still take a new Z06 or ZR1 over it.

Here's a link. I wish I had the ends for a new ZR1. I want the new CTS-V, but I think I'm going to wait for the new 2010 CTS coupe models to come out and see if there will be a V version of the 2 door.

vwb5t, how's the install coming?

vwb5t

Reaction score
still waiting on the 5901 to come in, i am stopping by the local shop to pick up an idatalink cause i found one local. I'll let you know how it goes, I'm going to do the install next week

vwb5t

Reaction score
I sent you a PM with a question on the install

vwb5t

Reaction score
JK, i'm an idiot i was reading the diagram and instructions all wrong, i do need to use all the harnesses that i mentioned in the PM, i had a brain fart and was not thinking right.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Cool. Glad you got it figured out. Sorry i haven't had a chance to get back with u on your PM. I haven't been feeling too well the past couple days.

tom q

Reaction score
I have a gmdlbp on 04 tahoe. No remote start though just a simple alarm. I will upgrade to an RS in the future. I will try to unlock with the key to see if it will disarm the alarm....I'm curious.

tom q

Reaction score
Ok i tried it using the key through the door. Key disarms the factory alarm but my aftermarket alarm is still engaged.... that's the good news. Based on my experience, thief smashed my window and did not open the door (smart). I had to install an aftermarket because of this and installed a glass sensor :)

DenaliAnyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glass sensor and ultrasonic cabin sensors are great. The other day I removed the lock cylinders and installed bucket handles without the key hole.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a gmdlbp on 04 tahoe. No remote start though just a simple alarm. I will upgrade to an RS in the future. I will try to unlock with the key to see if it will disarm the alarm....I'm curious.

It's only going to be an issue with the bypasses that use the D2D serial cable. Just FYI.

vwb5t

Reaction score
alright in install is going good, i have all the connections soldered on the heavy guage harness and the 5901 brain connected to the idatalink, all i have left is tap 4 wires a ground and power and i'm done. then i have to plug in the modules and get them programmed and working right. will finish up after work today.

now i have a question do i need to hook up the parking light wire to the 5901 or will they turn on through the idatalink when i disarm the 5901?