2005 Tahoe ringing noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blk00ss

Reaction score
our 05 Tahoe makes a ringing noise mainly when it's hot out when you first take off. It sounds like a heat shield or something near the muffler area that may be rubbing. Anyone experience this and know how to correct it?

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I am actually trying to find the same thing on mine. It doesn't happen all the time, just when taking off kind of easy, it's almost like a resonated rattle of the exhaust. I will try to get under there and hunt it down today.

blk00ss

Reaction score
Yes, what you described is exactly what we hear too. I got underneath ours and I see a heat shield that appears to be welded to the top side of the muffler between the muffler and truck. I can see at the corner it looks like the weld has broke, but I'm not sure its actually enough to cause the noise I'm hearing.

clkelley

Reaction score
I have not had a chance to get under ours yet, the wife has me so busy working on everything else around here...lol If there is a weld broken on a heat shield, I would bet that's where it is coming from. Could be wrong, buuuut. Anyway, to attempt to check to see if that IS it, go get either some RTV sealer, or JB weld, or something similar to that and cover the broken weld with it. It will not fix it really, just quiet it down so you can figure out if that is where the sound is coming from.

anglarry05

Reaction score
give the cat converters a good tap while the exhaust is cool. I had my catalyst brake up inside before. Just a thought