2005 Tahoe Z71 Pros/Cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pike

Reaction score
Hey all,

First post for me....I'm looking to purchase a 05 Z71 4x4. I've driven many Tahoes but never owned one. As a matter of fact, I currently have a 1997 Cavalier. It's time for me to upgrade and get something bigger as the needs for the family grows.

I found a Z71 I really like and the price is right with the options I want. Has the 12/12 warranty and 5yr/100k powertrain warranty. I don't do a great deal of off-roading by any means, but I will be taking it on some trails as I do a lot of ice fishing on private grounds that require 4x4. Also, during the summer I'll be towing our boat too which is another reason I thought the Tahoe would be a nice addition.

Was curious to hear about any pros/cons on the Z71 as far as reliability, ride quality and anything else you can throw at me. Figured this is a good place to start since there is so much great info on here.

Also, is GM still doing 4.9% financing on their GM Certified vehicles?

Thanks for everyones input.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

First post for me....I'm looking to purchase a 05 Z71 4x4. I've driven many Tahoes but never owned one. As a matter of fact, I currently have a 1997 Cavalier. It's time for me to upgrade and get something bigger as the needs for the family grows.

I found a Z71 I really like and the price is right with the options I want. Has the 12/12 warranty and 5yr/100k powertrain warranty. I don't do a great deal of off-roading by any means, but I will be taking it on some trails as I do a lot of ice fishing on private grounds that require 4x4. Also, during the summer I'll be towing our boat too which is another reason I thought the Tahoe would be a nice addition.

Was curious to hear about any pros/cons on the Z71 as far as reliability, ride quality and anything else you can throw at me. Figured this is a good place to start since there is so much great info on here.

Also, is GM still doing 4.9% financing on their GM Certified vehicles?

Thanks for everyones input.

I have no idea about the financing, but the Tahoe Z71 is a great truck.

I had a 2003 that I put over 100k on before I traded it for my '08 and I really liked it, more than I do the new body style. Reliability was great besides the intermediate steering shaft and a couple 4x4 switches, both fairly common problems, and its so easy to drive compared to others in its class. The Z71 definitely had a firmer ride than the LT, but it wasn't really a big issue. Put some Michelins on there and replace the shocks with Bilsteins for $200 if it has over 30k on it and you'll love it.

You really can't go wrong if it has that 100k warranty and is certified. It's a great on/off road vehicle and great for families or anybody who just likes a bigger car. The only things I can say that bothered me/ I dislike about the Tahoe is you come upon rattles and squeaks with age, the typical little GM things like that.

I'd go for it, its a buyers market and a great truck.

04Z71FL

Reaction score
I bought an 04 Z71 2 years ago when I added a third child to the family.

This SUV tows better than most of my friends 1500 (F150) trucks. I have done 5-6 long trips with either a boat or a camper. The ride is nice and has enough power for towing. The only negative I have is gas mileage which will not be any better with other vehicles that can tow this much. I will only look at GMC/Chevy when I need to get a new one.