2007 tahoe brakes..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all was wondering about some brake stuff..
every once in a while under continued hard braking i'll feel a little shimmy from the front end -- i can see where debris has come between the pad and rotor, and 'etched' in to the rotors surface. i was at chevy for some warranty stuff and the service writer said the stock pads should last quite a while, that i shouldn't be worried about them, or my rear brakes (they look good) -- however i've heard bad things about machining rotors down, obviously taking off more material means they can warp easier, but i've heard that the materials gm uses on the rotors once machined tend not to last long esp. if you have to do hard braking or if you go thru auto washes with hot brakes. at a dealer cost of $175 per axle just to machine rotors, should i just get some rotors from an autoparts store, or have them machined -- in essence have any of you have yours machined? if so what were the results, did they last, was it worth it?
i can pull them off myself and take them to an auto parts store and have them machined a lot cheaper than the dealer would charge.. or i could just replace them and the front pads or even just the front rotors.

so far i'm at 53k on the odo and to my knowledge no brake work (second owner).

rsinsel

Reaction score
hey all was wondering about some brake stuff..
every once in a while under continued hard braking i'll feel a little shimmy from the front end -- i can see where debris has come between the pad and rotor, and 'etched' in to the rotors surface. i was at chevy for some warranty stuff and the service writer said the stock pads should last quite a while, that i shouldn't be worried about them, or my rear brakes (they look good) -- however i've heard bad things about machining rotors down, obviously taking off more material means they can warp easier, but i've heard that the materials gm uses on the rotors once machined tend not to last long esp. if you have to do hard braking or if you go thru auto washes with hot brakes. at a dealer cost of $175 per axle just to machine rotors, should i just get some rotors from an autoparts store, or have them machined -- in essence have any of you have yours machined? if so what were the results, did they last, was it worth it?
i can pull them off myself and take them to an auto parts store and have them machined a lot cheaper than the dealer would charge.. or i could just replace them and the front pads or even just the front rotors.

so far i'm at 53k on the odo and to my knowledge no brake work (second owner).

I turn them once and then pitch them.

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to have them measured with a micrometer to see how is actually left and judge how thin they will be after turning. $175 seems high

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$175 just to turn rotors is expensive. Just buy a set, shouldn't cost you much more. I believe they're around $60/rotor... $120+1 hr labor? $200-$250? You'll have a set of new rotors.

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resurfacing rotors WILL NOT warp them easier! Just unheard of and I've been in the automotive business for almost 12 years.
It's ALWAYS cheaper if you perform most of the work yourself, so I would remove them and have them resurfaced somewhere...:yesnod: