2007 tahoe stabilitrak off light...help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WakeSkate317

Reaction score
Sept 2011 we bought our 07 Tahoe with 104k now. It was a "Certified hand picked" from one if the top 3 largest car dealers in Indiana. Therefore it was 4 months, no deductiable, warranty supposed to cover anything...
During that period, "stabilitrack off" would pop up on the HUD randomly wile driving. Took into dealeship and they inspected the sensors and and cleared the code history. Few weeks later took back in because "check engin", "service trans", and "stabilitrak off" would display and go away. This time the said they cleard the codes again and the computer had about 20 updates available. Prior to taking in the 2nd time i realized the traction off would display wile appling the brakes and at one point this happened about 6-8 stop lights in a row. If it was still "off" when i took off then it would shift hard, as if it had a shift kit...
After the 2nd visit it only done it a few times before it went in for the 3rd time.
Lest than 2 months after my "Certified Warranty" expired the Sprag broke wile my wife was driving. This pissed me off because it's been to the service center twice for the tranny, never touched a wrench to it and now it broke.
I paid my $250 deductiable and got it rebuild last week. Today my wife was driving and the "stabilitrac off" displayed on the HUD again??? Service center wants to look at it again this weekend.

Anyone seen this before or know what they are missing?
Thanks for your time... i know its a long post but wanted to get everything out there.

clkelley

Reaction score
I have seen on just a few where the "Yaw Rate" sensor would go bad and keep going bad, but the dealer would have to install a data logger and let you run it for a few days and allow the issue to repeat itself a few times and then they could look into the logs and find out what was happening at the time the warning came on. Not saying this is your issue for sure, but if it is I have yet to see one where the dealer could actually fix it. Two were lemon law by backs and one was just traded off.

BTW, just so you know, Certified "Hand Picked" can be interpreted SO many ways...lol

Sorry you are having issues, but I will look into this further for you and see if I can come up with any new information.

WakeSkate317

Reaction score
So i just had to google the "Yaw-Rate" because I thought you were effing with me... Its purpose to measure a vehicle’s angular velocity around its vertical axis make perfect sence why the "stabilitrak off" often happens when braking.
My wife's tahoe is a whole new era of technology than my 68 c10...haha

WakeSkate317

Reaction score
And the "Hand Picked" just ment it was super clean, one owner, and allowed 4 month - no deductiable repairs.
At this point it is just another used vehicle!

clkelley

Reaction score
lol, I hear ya there. There have been times when the Yaw rate sensor AND the steering wheel position sensor have messed up together and caused these issues, so I would start with Yaw rate sensor first, because that is most common, and if you find that the issue persists then the SW pos sensor needs to go as well.

Hope this has been helpful

gjs7

Reaction score
Here's some info:

Condition #1
Some customers may comment on a Service StabiliTrak® indicator light along with a Service StabiliTrak® message displayed in the DIC. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC C0196 set in history.

Condition #2
Some customers may comment on a blinking StabiliTrak® indicator light along with a StabiliTrak Active message displayed in the DIC during normal driving conditions. No DTCs will be found with this concern.

Cause
This condition may be caused by a software anomaly within the electronic brake control module (EBCM) that allowed the yaw offset to be falsely learned.

Correction
Do This
Don't Do This

Reprogram the EBCM.
Do not replace the yaw sensor or EBCM for this condition.

Important: From the controller list, select "VSES Vehicle Stability Enhancement System Control Module."

If routine diagnosis using SI does not reveal any obvious cause, reprogram the EBCM using SPS with the latest software available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the Service Programming System (SPS) procedures

Another option is to replace the Terminating Resistor by the spare tire. Resister aboout $30

pwol1962

Reaction score
Stabilitrac Off Message, Check Engine Light On & Hard Shift From 1st to 2nd

I am posting how I resolved the stabilitrac off intermittent message, hard shift from 1st to 2nd when the stabilitrac message was displayed on the information display and the check engine indicator is set on our 07 LTZ Tahoe with 88k miles. The check engine revealed codes P0171 & P0174 which is lean banks 1 and 2 .

I cleaned the mass airflow sensor using mass airflow sensor spray cleaner, replaced the air filter and also discovered that the PVC hose was disconnected from the air plenum. Several months earlier I had removed and cleaned the throttle body, which contained a lot of black residue then replaced it and reconnected the PVC hose and engine cover. Evidently the PVC hose became disconnected when replacing the engine cover or shortly thereafter and that's when the issues with the stabilitrac, hard shift and check engine indicator illuminated.

I had read and unsuccessfully tried all the solutions recommended on the forum and I resolved the problem as described above. Maybe this won't resolve your issue related to the stabilitrac and lean bank 1 and 2, but this didn't take very long to implement and the cost for the mass airflow cleaner and air filter was only $20. It sure beat taking it to a local dealership and paying $120/hr plus parts.