2008 Tahoe Hybrid - Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this on another forum:

http://www.autospies.com/news/REVIEW-Spies-get-a-first-drive-in-the-new-Tahoe-Hybrid-Does-it-deliver-25135/

You can be sure anything hybrid will be top of mind at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show.

So the arrival today of our new Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid tester, couldn't have shown up at a better time.

Our friend Dan Neil of the LA Times reviewed it and in our opinion (as well as others on the net) kinda slammed it.

After driving it most of today, I'm having a hard time knowing why.

Aside from the price premium, I can't really see a downside on the Hybrid Tahoe.

In fact, there are certain things I like better about it than the regular version.

It's a lot quieter and smoother driving than the gas version.

But let's face it, nobody cares about that.

The ONLY thing anyone really wants to know, is what is the REAL mileage like on this new Hybrid?

Is it like other GM products like this in the past that cost a lot more and got 1-2 MPG better?

Before I tell you about our mileage experience let me say to all you consumers out there looking for information on new models this small piece of info you would think should be in ALL reviews, is not very easy to find!

Is it just me or does EVERY person who reviews a product NEVER tell you there own mileage experience?

Seems like they ONLY list the EPA numbers...including Danny Boy Neil.

Which in the case of this vehicle, makes the review totally useless in my opinion.

Drum roll please....

So with no further ado, we will actually tell you WHAT the real life mileage is!

And it's damn impressive for a tank like this.

How does a range of 19.5-24.8 sound?

Cruising down the I-5 today we were registering 24.8MPG.

On a full size SUV!

And we have the pictures to prove it!

Around town it was lower but still impressive, just under 20MPG.

Now considering the regular Tahoe we had could only get 12MPG, 15MPG highway, that's a HUGE difference.

And at $50,400 and change, it still undercuts the price of the most loaded gas Tahoe out there.

If you live in the real world, we believe you will be impressed the new Tahoe and Escalade Hybrids.

But if you were expecting to turn the key on this thing and get Prius mileage, then nothing will impress you.

Kudo's to GM...The new Chevy Tahoe Hybrid gets the 'GREEN' light from AutoSpies.com.

rdstrattan

Reaction score
It's been a long time since anyone has posted on this thread, and my Tahoe Hybrid experience is short, but here is my input on real life mpg late in life of a Tahoe.

I purchased a used 2008 Tahoe Hybrid with 70K+ miles in April 2011. I consitently get around 20-21 mpg for both city and hghway unless towing. I have towed my 1930 Chevy on an open flatbed to several events, most recently from Oklahoma to the VCCA 50th Anniversary Meet in Flint MI. I get 14-15 mpg towing, considerably better than I got with '93 Suburban (10-12 mpg).

I realy like the hybrid powertrain. Still having trouble warming up to some of the Tahoe's features - I liked to old Suburban's better roominess and visibility. This is my 3rd hybrid, started with a gen 1 Prius, then a Fusion Hybrid, and now added the Tahoe Hybrid. I also drive a Solectria Force ('97 Geo Metro) pure electric as daily city driver.

snowball

Reaction score
What are some of the features on the hybird you dont like or have a hard time warming up to?

Shaggy

Admin
Administrator
Reaction score
What do you like about it snowball? What features do you like that are not on the normal tahoes?

rdstrattan

Reaction score
My complaints about the Tahoe (not the hybrid 2 mode part - that is great) are: My comparison basis is a '93 Suburban with 230,000 miles and 2001 Prius and 2010 Fusion hybrids.

too high - a reach to climb into.

poor visibilit, thick A pillars, rear quarter windows aren't long enough to get good visibility to check adjacent lane traffic, head rests on 2nd row seats block visibility (usually fold 2nd row seats down for that reason)

high receiver hitch location in bumper - had to get monstrosity of hitch to match up with my trailer hitch height.

digital - extra info on instrument panel is lame, just not modern-informative-customizable enough for a modern vehicle.

choppy ride due to short wheelbase

poor quality control- I have a bad electric door lock on the passenger side door - assume it is a failed digital network module or solenoid - notice a lot a complaints about this on forurms. I'm used to Fords and Toyotas that are 100% trouble free - other examples are cheap looking- feeling interior door handles that have rough edges, rattle in door.

Jake529

Reaction score
I have a 08 Tahoe Hybrid with 178k on it. Bought it used in 2017 with 130k. It’s been ok but has some issues early in life before me. Complete top engine replacement in 2016. Last summer it was bucking I got a code for misfire on cylinder 1. Took it out full of ash. Replaced it and then downstream bank 1 o2 sensor. Replaced it with a non Gm part. This past week same issue misfire on bank 1 and o2 sensor. Bought Gm o2 and dropped it at my mechanic. Also it started puffing out black smoke. I’m at a lose. Bad rings bad engine? Anyone still out there?