2012 Advent ADV29 DVD player FM Modulator issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmac123

Reaction score
2012 Tahoe LT.
I have a very specific problem that the installer either doesn't know how to resolve or doesn't care to resolve and it is very frustrating. I bought a 2012 Tahoe LT with factory Radio and had a third party company install a GM factory NAV unit that works great but also had them install an Advent ADV29 DVD player. The wireless FM modulator in the DVD player has 16 channels and I've tried many of them and there is major distortion on the truck factory speakers. It is very obvious distortion and they are relying on the FM modulator (not hard-wired audio output from the DVD player to the head unit) to get audio to play over the truck speakers. I'm an electrical engineer so I know all about electronics but I paid the installer to install the system and now fix the problem with no avail. Any way, enough complaining...

1. Does anyone have a suggestion?

2. What is the factory antenna for FM reception on this 2012 Tahoe? Is it the same shark fin that is used for GPS reception? Perhap this is a dual frequency mode antenna?

3. I would tend to believe there is either a grounding problem in the wiring, not a good connection with ground, not a good connection with the antenna connection, etc... This is just my sense but I don't install car stereos for a living though.

4. I suggested they try to receive the FM signal in a car sitting right next to my truck such that you tune in the FM receiver to that FM Modulator station that the DVD player is transmitting to see if distortion is happening on the receiver end or whether this is a transmitter issue.

5. I suggested they run the Audio AUX output from the DVD player to the AUX input of the head unit but I'm just not sure of the audio levels, etc such that if is needs a pre-amp or anything since I don't know the audio levels, etc.

I'm really upset that these so called experienced technicians can't resolve this issue.

I would really appreciate if someone could respond to my 5 listed items to give me some definitive feedback to help this process along.

This is the DVD player, but I don't have installation manual.

http://adventproducts.com/overheadmobilevideo/?sku=ADV29

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there. Sorry your having issues with your system.

Was the distortion present after install or did it happen all of a sudden? Also is there a frequency select switch on the actual modulator? What type of Modulator are you using?