2's or 18's on LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjpopp

Reaction score
I have a 15' LTZ. Nice truck, but I hate the ride. Should be premium smooth but its not. I am looking at replacing springs with escalade springs that were in an old thread (now gone???). Does anyone have an LTZ with 18's? I am wondering what you think of the smoothness of the ride?

Thanks,

ChicagoTahoe

Reaction score
Nice ride

You want to look cool ? Get bigger wheels, but also be ready to visit doctor for your back.
You want smooth ride ? Get 18's and don't look back.
I have 2015 LTZ with 18's and would NEVER install bigger wheels.
I love the ride, and I drive from Chicago to Atlanta arriving fresh and not tired.
If you want comfort - get smaller tires.

07burb

Reaction score
FYI....Ride quality has very little to do with wheels 24s and smaller but more to do with tire selection and suspension setup.

ChicagoTahoe

Reaction score
FYI....Ride quality has very little to do with wheels 24s and smaller but more to do with tire selection and suspension setup.

Maybe, but how to explain this :

90 % of people complaining about rough ride are the people with bigger wheels regardless of LT or LTZ.
Try driving one with smaller tires and see it yourself.

07burb

Reaction score
I DD my suburban with 22" rims without issue and the ride is smooth with the exception of the occasional pot hole. I'm just saying that if a person will take the time to use quality parts and equipment bigger wheels doesn't have to equal rougher ride. Too many people get bigger wheels then cheap out when it comes to tires or are riding on high mile suspension parts then they blame their crappy ride on wheel size when the wheel size is only a VERY small component of what their true problem is.

ChicagoTahoe

Reaction score
I DD my suburban with 22" rims without issue and the ride is smooth with the exception of the occasional pot hole. I'm just saying that if a person will take the time to use quality parts and equipment bigger wheels doesn't have to equal rougher ride. Too many people get bigger wheels then cheap out when it comes to tires or are riding on high mile suspension parts then they blame their crappy ride on wheel size when the wheel size is only a VERY small component of what their true problem is.

Sorry, I didn't factor in someone's stupidity to buy cheap tires on the big (expansive) wheels.
Is your Suburban LT ? Because if it is, that also may play the role.

07burb

Reaction score
Yep. LT3 non-autoride truck. but quality suspension components and quality tires holds true regardless of trim level.

Tahoe2017

Reaction score
the rear springs installed on the Tahoe are extremely stiff, makes it ride like a log truck.
swap springs to 2" lower springs by Mcgaughty, it will ride like a Cadillac !

73Vetteman

Reaction score
the rear springs installed on the Tahoe are extremely stiff, makes it ride like a log truck.
swap springs to 2" lower springs by Mcgaughty, it will ride like a Cadillac !

When I received my 2015 LT with trailer option and 20" wheels the ride was like a dump truck. I changed the fronts to Escalade springs. Had to grind out the inside diameter of each spring end slightly to fit the large diameter optional trailer shocks (struts).

I used Belltech 34324 rear spring 4" lowering kit with 2" spacers to get the correct ride height. Ride was fantastic. Then, just recently, I saw a fantastic deal on Belltech 5321 springs that give a 2" drop without the need for spacers. I installed them and they are perfect. Obviously it is better to eliminate spacers if possible so the 5321 are the springs to use to provide the best ride and also reduce the "raked" look. If you actually like the stock raised look, just use 2" spacers and still get the improved ride.

Belltech uses a progressive spring rate with coils wound tighter at the top of the coil for soft ride on small movement yet provide stronger capacity when vehicle is loaded. That is why the ride in my opinion is better than any of the other springs available.

The instructions with the 5321 springs specify NOT for use with auto level vehicles. Mine DOES have auto level and they work perfectly. You have to adjust the sensor rod to the lower ride height or naturally it will automatically try to raise it back to stock height. I bought 2 - 4" long 1/8" all thread bolts to replace the stock rods. I cut the heads off the bolts and popped the plastic sockets off the stock rods and simply screwed them on the bolts. When installing the sockets on the bolts I set the distance at 3.25" center to center of the socket. Just a slight change of that setting will raise vehicle height.

The spring kit includes shorter bump stops. I suggest you not use them unless you also install the 6651 shock extension kit that was part of my original 4" lowering kit.

Last edited:

73Vetteman

Reaction score
The 18", 20" , and 22" factory wheel/ tires all have the SAME outside diameter. The sidewall height makes the difference. The sidewall of the 20" tire is 1" less on each side to make up for the 2" rim difference. Likewise, the 22" tire is 2" less on each side to make up for the 4" wheel difference.
Because of the shorter sidewall of the tires used on larger rims, ride quality decreases proportionately. That is why there are more complaints with owners of vehicles with 20" wheels and even more with 22" wheels.
A softer spring rate or shock dampening is the only true solution to rough ride from big diameter rims. Reduced air pressure is dangerous so not an option. A larger tire or sidewall aspect ratio is an option but with the drawback of fit and altering the accuracy of your speedometer. I just replaced my 275/55/20 tires with Michelin Defender 275/60/20 tires. That did improve ride but speed is now 73 when speedometer indicates 70 mph.

Greg Newhard

Reaction score
I have the factory 22' black wheels (factory Bridgestone Dueler AT tires) on my 2016 Tahoe LTZ. This thing rides like shit which might have to do with the AT tires. Also had the rear air shocks fail at 42k currently 44k on the clock. Would love to know if anyone has made an suspension mods for a better ride?

I have owned all the body styles and this could be the worst riding set up.....

Thanks in advance for any idea