2WD in the snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeerMug

Reaction score
Hi all,
Anyone here have a 2WD that they drive in the snow? A dealer near where I live has a Tahoe I really like that is 2WD. I live in Wisconsin so I'm not too sure about getting a 2WD though. I have no intention of ever going off road so I don't need 4X4 for that, but I would hate to be getting stuck in a snow storm. Anyone got experience with 2007+ 2WD models in a snowy area?

Thanks

nvcaman

Reaction score
Live in Lake Tahoe and we get alot of snow here, from personal experience I would advise anyone who lived in an area where it snowed and had real icy conditions to get something with AWD or 4WD. SO much easier than having to put on chains and really increases traction with slush. All in all worth the extra money.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some chains and some good all terrains and you'll be fine. My 00 limited got around fine, just need to know how to drive in the nasty stuff
Blizzardof0617.jpg

beach109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfectly fine, just driving as usual in snow.

We had (2) 2wd GM SUV's, an '02 Avalanche and then an '04 Suburban and NEVER had an issue in the winter, even traveling to western PA and the mountains in some fairly bad conditions each year. Both had the rear locker and the Avalanche also had traction control.

Just like any vehicle, start off lightly and do the same braking, and also keep it steady and controlled while moving. Actually, when moving, there's very little benefit at all with 4WD doing the work...just extra friction and a little extra grip. Better for some inclines and the initial dig/grab out, but not that much more.

More importantly, on an '07 not only with a locking rear differential AND the awesome Stabilitrak, you'd be even better off. The Stabilitrak can keep you in line even with less than stellar driving.

They had a GREAT video before, from one of the news shows, where GM showed what a 2WD Yukon with Stabilitrak on & off was like in snow & ice, but I can't find it. Suffice it to say, unless you need to climb mountains and several feet of snow and such weeks at a time...2WD will be more than fine.

Then when it's warm out...you'll still benefit from having paid less, and not having to drag around an extra differential, extra weight, more friction, etc.

BeerMug

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The reason I ask is the 2WD is Summit White, the color I really want. There are no other Summit White ones around me except for loaded one stickering at around 50k. But with the locking rear and stabilitrak the 2WD should be O.K. I guess.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Thanks for the replies. The reason I ask is the 2WD is Summit White, the color I really want. There are no other Summit White ones around me except for loaded one stickering at around 50k. But with the locking rear and stabilitrak the 2WD should be O.K. I guess.

I wanted a 4X4, but I bought when the 900 body style first came out and they were cutting no deals at all on the 07's. 4X4 would be nice, but not necessary being I live in SOCAL and we don't see much snow here.

beach109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But with the locking rear and stabilitrak the 2WD should be O.K. I guess.

Absolutely you will! The Stabilitrak is icing on the cake, and makes an even bigger difference.

Even a big RWD with an open diff...I get around perfectly fine in my mid 90's Fleetwood.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Absolutely you will! The Stabilitrak is icing on the cake, and makes an even bigger difference.

Even a big RWD with an open diff...I get around perfectly fine in my mid 90's Fleetwood.

I think if you don't drive like a mad man in most cases, aside from deep snow and steep hills you should do ok, but 4X4 is always better

GSX-WE4

Reaction score
I live in the snowbelt and this is one of the worst winters we've had in 25 years and it seems to snow every day (Al Gore would freeze his a$$ off here). Anyway, I do have 4WD but have not even used it yet this year even with all our snow because they do a pretty nice job on the roads here. In Wisconsin, you have excellent snow removal too, so unless you live in a very rural area with few snow plows, 2WD would probably be fine IMO.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents. Most of the time 2WD with locking rear diff, traction control, and good tires will suffice. Big factors are the driver and conditions. How much experience do you (and/or spouse) have in the snow with RWD, are there any hills you drive daily, what is the average snow fall, etc.

It is hard to put a price on safety. I typically do not use 4x4 when it snows; however, with a new baby I will be more conservative and put it in auto if the conditions are suspect or 4-hi if there it is slippery in the snow. When you need the security of 4x4 even a handful of times I think it is worth it. I have had a few friends that bought 2WD SUVs/trucks and have all heard them say they wish the had the 4WD.

As far as increased maintenance cost, I do not think it really adds up to that much (assuming the 4x4 powertrain does not break). The Tahoe has 2WD mode (disengage the FWD portion) which reduces wear/frictional loses and in my opinion the engine has more than enough grunt to move the extra weight.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted on what you purchased. I have the 4x4 Z71 package and love it! I do go off-road so 4x4 is a must for me.

Last edited:

Ibcheeky

Reaction score
You have to also consider the marketability of a 2WD truck when it comes time to get rid of it. In Wisconsin you will have a hard time selling a truck that is not a 4X4. Our local dealer will only special order a Tahoe in 2WD.