4.5 duramax diesel still coming in 2009?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadman

Reaction score
Whats everyone's thoughts on the coming of the 4.5 duramax diesel engine option and when do you think it will be in production? 2009? or 2010?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard of that yet, let me look....

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it was only supposed to come out on the 2500 suburban, hummer h2, and somthing else I think the 1500 silverado. Since their cutting the hummer and obama has re instated the crap loose all manlyness on any vehicle bill (aka fuel economy bill) I doubt we will ever see it.

Last edited:

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to whore this thread and all but Damn RT, not everything is Obama's fault. I'm pretty sure its a Democratic thing so blame them too!:yesnod:
Back to the topic for me.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actully I will edit my post. I didnt mean to put an N next to obama, force of habit I guess. But no to the topic, What Im saying is with the new "lets not wreck the earth thing" plus gm just bairly staying afloat, I doubt their gunna launch anything for the full size truck market right now.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats tru and I was pretty mad to see that Hummer may be done away with this year on Yahoo news the other day!
Hummer's (exc. the H3) are meant for people who want a bigger car and prestiege and mainly people who can afford it, if you can't then its not your business, can't stand everybody acting like Hummer's are the worst cas to touch the earth, they don't realize cars like the Ford E300 van get WAY worst gas mileage!

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what I remember though the specs were great for such a small engine....without looking i want to say 390 horses and somewhere in the low 500's ft/lb torque?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats tru and I was pretty mad to see that Hummer may be done away with this year on Yahoo news the other day!
Hummer's (exc. the H3) are meant for people who want a bigger car and prestiege and mainly people who can afford it, if you can't then its not your business, can't stand everybody acting like Hummer's are the worst cas to touch the earth, they don't realize cars like the Ford E300 van get WAY worst gas mileage!

I like hummers and actully compared an 09 hummer to an 09 denali. The seats were amazing, and I must say the Monsoon sound system is a hell of alot better than Blows system. But They have a small rear and Are hard to park and see out of with the tiny windows. I could get used to, but The 09 denali is more of a winner. Plus the extra 15 hp and refignment of the denali is just off the page.

I think hummers get a bad name because of how capable they are offroad, which as some people complain we harm the ground by offroading. Reality check is a jeep and landrover are just as good, yet they get no bad rep. Hell for 10k you could build a hell of an offroader out of an older wrangler that gets 12 mpg and can tear up a corse just as good as a land rover or HUMMER. If not better because of the smaller size.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think a Jeep would tear it up better but I'm not a fan of Jeeps, apart from the SRT8 SUV which is a beast!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think a Jeep would tear it up better but I'm not a fan of Jeeps, apart from the SRT8 SUV which is a beast!

I had an 02 jeep grand Piece of ****. was ok in verylight offroad situations, but the AWD sucked for anything other than slick roads. Sand it sucked, had to be in 4 lo, and the power transfered to the wheel with the least traction. LOL Which is why I got a silverado. Much better 4x4 system. Plus I can take it out of 4x4 and haul 2k in the bed while towing 6k behind. Up a muddy hill in 2wd, and not have the transaxle make funny noises when turning, or bind gears when backing up. Or have brakes that squeak to high heaven, or have a tranny that shifts so hard you would swear you were teaching a monkey to drive a manual. But thats another story.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LoL thats a funny experience with you and your Jeep!:smilielol:
Sounds like my 2WD Tahoe will do a better job in conditions like that.
Well if I got an SRT8 Jeep and it did that BS for the about $50k it cost I would lose my mind!

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we will see the 4.5L Duramax in the big SUVs sooner rather than later. GM makes a lot of money on these vehicles and the reason they are not selling is due to the mileage. The instant 30% mileage bump from the diesel motor will go a long way toward fixing that.

Personally, I really miss the Duramax in my pickup and would LOVE a diesel drive train in my Escalade.

Torque is good.

- Mark

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I think hummers get a bad name because of how capable they are offroad, which as some people complain we harm the ground by offroading. Reality check is a jeep and landrover are just as good, yet they get no bad rep. Hell for 10k you could build a hell of an offroader out of an older wrangler that gets 12 mpg and can tear up a corse just as good as a land rover or HUMMER. If not better because of the smaller size.

They got a bad name because of size/mileage/customer segment. Remember, it's never the car/truck, but the user. I've seen Hummers in action, :ack:. The H1 owns off road, but an H2 is offroad's beotch. The H3 gets a very bad rep just because of it's older H2 cousin. Regardless of my opinion, they were claimed by the wealthy as a status symbol, not offroad prowess. (See... 30 inch rims and what else can I chrome?)

They became a target by eco-nazi types. Poster child if you will. I would NEVER own one as I have NO need for a large turd block. Again, my opinion creeps in as I even have to tell myself, it's the farking driver. Still, the H2 is useless to 98% of their owners.

Nixonride

Reaction score
GM has put the 4.5L on hold....I have heard for upwards to 18+ months.

"The industry slowdown is being felt in another way at the GM engine plant in Tonawanda. The automaker is delaying the start of production of the “Duramax” 4.5-liter engine that was expected to get under way later this year, Price said. GM has not announced a new launch date for the line but the Tonawanda plant is still GM’s choice to produce the engine, she said."