4 vs 6 Transmission (08 vs 09)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenOnyx

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some input from existing owners. I'm looking at purchasing a Tahoe LTZ and the 2008's have amazing deals going on. The only major differences between the 08 and 09 that I see is the cooled seats (perforated) and the 6 speed transmission for towing.

Anything I'm towing will likely be light (i.e. maybe a motorcycle, single 4 wheeler, or hunting gear/dogs). I see a lot of people comment on how they don't like the 4 speed transmission, but I'm wondering if it's a big deal or not, especially since I'm not towing extremely heavy loads.

Are those added features worth the extra 8-10K in your opinion? Is the 4 speed absolutely horrible and going to cost me in the long run?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
IMHO, any transmission can cause you problem. The 4 speed 4L60E-4L80E transmissions have been around since Jesus roamed the Earth. It is a tried and true design and a good transmission that gets the job done.

The 6 speed transmission is a monster. This s.o.b. is slick shifting and seems light years ahead of the 4 speed. The 6 speed also nets one better fuel economy over the 4 speed. Although, in a truck, I doubt you will notice.

I am not sure, but I believe the 6.0 tahoe, yukon denali come with the 6 speed in 2008.

Whatever choice you choose, IMHO you can not go wrong.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cooled seats are not worth it IMO. I have them in my Lexus and they really don't do that much other than make the places where air can move around feel wet. :lol:

I tow a 21ft Sea Ray that is about 4K lbs with my 08. I don't have issues at all and it shifts just fine. Resale I would say would be better with the 6spd, but then again it is a year newer. If you are talking anything more than 3K between the 08 and 09, then I would go with the 08. Lots of money for something you may not notice. Get some rims or something with the extra dough. :D