4WD Knob Hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkooman

Reaction score
Living in the south, I rarely use 4WD but needed it a few weeks ago driving on the beach. (Sounds like a few of us in this forum like Carova Beach) Nonetheless, I went to turn it from 4WD to 2WD and the twist knob was really, really warm. Is that normal or should I have the dealer check it out?

joetm

Reaction score
where your lights on?? sometimes my stuff gets warm from the lights being on for long amounts of time

bkooman

Reaction score
Hmm... I want to say my lights were off since it was daytime, but I don't remember as it was just before Hurricane Hanna hit the OBX and it rained the whole drive back to Raleigh.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent noticed in my Suburban (only had it 3 weeks) but in some other vehicles I've owned, I have noticed that some back-lit buttons do sometimes get very warm. Nothing to worry about.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your lights were most likely on as i think on new gm vehicles the headlights come on with your wipers. Im not positive on that though.

The knob is not mechnically connected to the 4wd system so theres nothing (from what it sounds like) wrong with the actual 4wd system.

the knob is just an electronic switch really.

Ps CAROVA ROCKS!!!!

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think it could get warm normally, but shouldn't get hot...

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct re: wipers turning on the headlites. Believe it takes 9-10 sweeps.