"4WD SERVICE NOW" code flashed on DIC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sievz7

Reaction score
Guys,

See the sig for vehicle....

My wife called me yesterday and said that as she was pulling into the babysitter's drive way, the Hoe flashed the aformentioned code across the DIC.

A little background....I live in the midwest and we've had light snow off and on for the last two weeks. Since my wife drives our Hoe 95% of the time, and she doesn't always know when to use 4 Hi or 2WD, I told her to just put it in Auto and not worry about it (assuming that as long as conditions were dry, it would run 2WD no problems).

Back to the story. Her words were "I barely made it into the driveway." You know how this goes....my wife is a smart lady, but knows nothing about cars or anything mechanical, and to get her to describe what actually happened isn't always easy.

I asked if the engine died and she said "No, it just got harder to push the gas."

Here's what I'm thinking.....either the engine de-rates when it sees a potentially major failure/code, or I have a bearing/transfer case/CV shaft issue.

When she left she put the car in 2wd and said it seemed to drive fine. I have yet to actually drive it, but just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience. Sorry for writing a novel, just like to give all the details.

Rich E

Reaction score
Guys,

See the sig for vehicle....

My wife called me yesterday and said that as she was pulling into the babysitter's drive way, the Hoe flashed the aformentioned code across the DIC.

A little background....I live in the midwest and we've had light snow off and on for the last two weeks. Since my wife drives our Hoe 95% of the time, and she doesn't always know when to use 4 Hi or 2WD, I told her to just put it in Auto and not worry about it (assuming that as long as conditions were dry, it would run 2WD no problems).

Back to the story. Her words were "I barely made it into the driveway." You know how this goes....my wife is a smart lady, but knows nothing about cars or anything mechanical, and to get her to describe what actually happened isn't always easy.

I asked if the engine died and she said "No, it just got harder to push the gas."

Here's what I'm thinking.....either the engine de-rates when it sees a potentially major failure/code, or I have a bearing/transfer case/CV shaft issue.

When she left she put the car in 2wd and said it seemed to drive fine. I have yet to actually drive it, but just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience. Sorry for writing a novel, just like to give all the details.

I've had the same message appear periodically on my '07 LT2 since purchase. It has happened during all types of driving conditions...dry pavement, rain and snow. I primarily drive in AUTO 4WD mode with the traction control on. I've been to the dealer 3 times but have never been able to get there when the message came on. It does seem to reset itself when you turn the truck off. So I bring it in, tell them about the message and they say "OK, we'll take care of it." Well, it still happens from time to time. I'm done with the dealer. Like i said, it seems to reset itself when you turn the truck off. If you take it in and get a better result, please let me know what they did.

birddogg

Reaction score
Guys, first time post. Here's the solution to your problem...
My 08 has been flashing the same code for almost a year. Never really worried about it until this last December. What goes bad on Tahoes is the 4WD dash switch, don't let your dealership tell you they can't read it, any Live Scan Tool that a dealership uses should be able to pull it up. A code reader won't because it's not a hard code which would cause the Check Engine Light to come on...but I digress.
The GM part # for this is 25878425 - GM Retail is $26.18 and labor should be no more than a half hour. Just got this done and the bill was $62.20.
I would definitely recommend getting this fixed as I suspect that with this switch blown it's causing your 4wd to act funny or in my case not engage at all. Actually what prompted me to get this done was the fact that my truck tires squeeled during every tight turn I made. Had it aligned 3 times to no avail. I firmly believe that this switch was actually engaging my 4wd at low speeds, hence the chewed up tires and squeels. And no I never drive it in Auto Mode, always 2wd.
4 weeks now, no issues, no squeeling and 4wd works great.

Hope this helps!

slvrbrchyukon

Reaction score
This had happened to me recently after a big snow storm in New Jersey. I was using the 4x4 mode for a good 2 days during the snow, and when I switched it to Auto before heading to the highway since the road was in ok condition, the Service 4x4 showed up. Then I called the dealer to see what it was, and they said to bring it in, but I was going to wait to see if it resets. When I got to my destination, I shut the car off and turned it back on and the message went away. It hasn't came back since. This was 2 weeks ago.