$600 thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

windswest

Reaction score
my dealer just charged me $595 to change the thermostat on my 2001 Tahoe LS (5.3) - they said the thermostat is connected to the water pump and cannot be separated so the water pump has to be replaced in order to change the thermostat - they said the water pump and thermostat costs $325 and the rest is labor - does this sound right? looking up online i find pumps for $100 - am i being ripped off? i hope someone can help ....

Chasmanian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my water pump changed on my 99 siverado and it was $460. with thermostat and labor. I'm sure the dealer would be lil more.

telmd

Reaction score
DAYUMMMMMM!!!!!

Just replaced the water pump on my 97 5.7l tahoe.....Less than $40.00 lifetime warranty at Pep Boys and about an hour worth of my time. As for the water pump needing to be replaced because the thermostat being bad....new one to me....wierd

Chasmanian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thermostat is no longer on top of the intake, it is down next to the water pump in it's own housing. I know it is more than the old style(some thing like $65) not sure if you would have to change the pump just because of a bad thermostat though.

YAYSTA

Reaction score
autozone got them for 24.99 with the housing and seal, havent had to replace mine yet, about how long did it take on this new style? did you need to remove a lot to get to it?

yukon'ed up

Reaction score
wow I did my thermostat last summer . The thermostat was easy to change I think it was 3 bolts . Also flushed and changed the coolant since I was there.

01 suburban ls

Reaction score
my dealer just charged me $595 to change the thermostat on my 2001 Tahoe LS (5.3) - they said the thermostat is connected to the water pump and cannot be separated so the water pump has to be replaced in order to change the thermostat .

They lied to you.

Copied and pasted from the Factory Service Manual:

5.3thermostat01.gif

1. Drain the cooling system.
2. Loosen the air cleaner outlet duct clamps at the following locations
-Throttle body
-Mass airflow/intake air temperature (MAF/IAT) sensor
3. Remove the radiator inlet hose clip from the outlet duct.
4. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.
5.3thermostat02.gif

5. Reposition the outlet hose clamp at the water pump.
6. Remove the outlet hose from the water pump.
5.3thermostat03.gif

7. Remove the water pump inlet bolts.
8. Remove the water pump inlet and thermostat from the water pump.

MyBlkBurban

Reaction score
print that out and go straight to the Service Manager and see what his reponse is... Then go to the Sales Manager in the middle of the showroom floor and have him explain it if you get nowhere with the Service Manager. Good Luck !

telmd

Reaction score
I would def go back to the dealer and call them out on it....atleast get some satisfaction for the 600.00 you've spent.....Someone here in jville got riped like that years ago at a dealer and they went back up there with a sign and stood out in front. Somehow the news found out about it and ran the story caused all kinds of negative press to the dealer...Can't remember what the outcome was but i'm sure that dealer lost way more in future customers than he made on ripping this person

YAYSTA

Reaction score
was this a chevy dealer? they should of known how to take the thermostat off, it must of been a straight up retard working on it and a dumb ass service manager, i dont see what the point of lying just to get a few hundred bucks, but yea i would go confront them and demand something back and never go back there again

Armycop

Reaction score
my dealer just charged me $595 to change the thermostat on my 2001 Tahoe LS (5.3) - they said the thermostat is connected to the water pump and cannot be separated so the water pump has to be replaced in order to change the thermostat - they said the water pump and thermostat costs $325 and the rest is labor - does this sound right? looking up online i find pumps for $100 - am i being ripped off? i hope someone can help ....

That's complete BS!! The thermostat is bolted to the water pump using two 10mm bolts! You got ripped, my friend!!