Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwrobison

Reaction score
Hey all, long-time reader/lurker, first time poster here.

I've got a 2003 Chevy Tahoe LS (5.3L v8) that is the family vehicle. I just passed 80k miles last week, and we've owned it since ~35k miles, bought it in 2007.

Anyway, for the past four years or so, we've used the Tahoe to pull our travel trailer during the summer 4-6 times, mostly local but some long-range trips as well (200+ miles). This year, we're planning on at least two big trips from Salt Lake City: one to Moab, and one to Yellowstone.

So our trips, together with the mileage on the Tahoe have me a bit concerned about doing some overdue maintenance. We've done the regular lube/oil/filter services when the computer tells us to, and several other repairs/maintenance items as needed, but I haven't touched it as far as other "routine maintenance" that is recommended in the owner's manual. Here's what the manual says I've missed:

• 50k: automatic transmission fluid & filter
    50k: transfer case fluid
    60k: inspect evaporative control system
    75k: engine air cleaner filter
    Every 7.5k: check rear/front axle fluid levels

In addition, the manual says I have the following coming up in the future:

• 90k: fuel filter
    90k: engine air cleaner filter
    100k: spark plugs & wires
    100k: transmission fluid & filter
    100k: transfer case fluid
    150k: cooling system

I figured I'd better do the transmission fluid/filter and the transfer case. The local parts store sold me Dexron VI ATF, even though the owner's manual says Dexron III, and two off-brand filters since they couldn't tell me if I have the deep or shallow pan. And they wanted to sell me some gear oil for the transfer case, even though the manual says to use GM's AUTO-TRAK II fluid. Essentially, I've lost faith that the local store can actually tell me what to use for ATF and transfer case fluid. Add to that the differing opinions I've read on the forums about completely draining the transmission fluid vs. just dropping the pan and changing the fluid/filter. At this point, some expert advice would be appreciated as to what I should actually do and what I should use.

Any thoughts?