95 tahoe voltage all over the place

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1995tahoe

Reaction score
Hey all,

1995 chevy tahoe, 5.7 V8, 4x4, 4 door, LS....

Ok have had some electrical issues with the tahoe. brought it in to get checked and the mechanic said all tests he performed with the snap on scan tool read ok, the drop in voltage at a stop light were normal. all grounds were ok and all positives were ok (that he checked) i wound up having him install a separate voltage meter under the dash. He connected the power to a block under the dash (directly next to the buzzer that sounds when key in ign. and door open, lights on and ign. is off etc..) for accessory male blade. This one seams to have power when ign. switch is on only, there is a male blade under that one that has volts all the time. when he installed the meter it read slightly higher than the dash meter and was more sensitive where when hitting the window down switch you could see a drop in voltage quickly and would return quickly when letting off the window switch.

I wound up replacing the alternator with a summit racing tuff stuff high output alternator/optima yelow top battery and noticed a great improvement with the lights not dimming at a stop light.

Recently when starting in cold whether and cold engine-----
1.Ign. key on but not cranking-----volts are at 9volt for a few seconds then jump to just above 12volts by looking at both gauges. (why would this happen?)

2.start the engine-----volts are erratic jumping between 13 up to 15.5 or so. If I put on the headlights I can actually see a strobe affect on all the exterior lights and dash lights where they are getting surges of power. If I turn on blower motor, lights, rear defogger the volts go down a bit but are still erratic then when i hold the gas peddle down slightly to 700 to 1500 rpm more times then not the volts even out around 13 to 14.5 ish. when i let go of the peddle the volts drop then are erratic again. Let me go back and say the new volt gauge jumps all around but the guage on the dash stays steady but close to 15volts. After the truck warms up the problem seems to go away. but i did get a higher voltage code#35 Map sensor so this made me think not the map sensor but a high voltage issue with the truck.

So far I ran to the engine compartment and just after starting checked the volts at the battery and it was receiving around 14v up and down .10 to .30. the alternator was putting out the same (I have two positive lines from the alternator to the battery and two negatives from the battery to the body). I checked the volts at the fuse block in the engine compartment and it read pretty much the same as the battery just slightly lower.

The meter i am using is a radio shack digital so not sure if it can keep up with the volt changes the analog meter inside the truck as far volt swing and how fast it is happening.

I have a new slightly used alternator I was thinking about swapping I think it is a 105amp with a smaller pulley to create more amps at lower rpm? not sure if the alternator with internal regulator could be the culprit or if there a a short somewhere?

would the ecm possibly cause this? I have had other issues I think corrected was getting bad egr fault, bad IAC fault, #59 trans fluid temp below -40. replaced egr and IAC, they have not come back. HAd to replace distributor due to Pick up coil went bad and really thought it was ICM because ever ICM i put in truck ran great till 4 miles then died but i must have temporarily moved the wires for the pick up coil and it worked for short burts, test pick up coil wires and ohms were all over when moving the wires slightly so that was the fault not the ICM. reset timing properly or at least very close to 0 TDC. can't get a good read on the damper where the marks are but from pictures I got it close.

Other issue I still have is it is a hard cold start. turn key on wait few seconds for fuel pump, crank for about 20 seconds to start or key on wait few seconds, crank for few seconds, stop, crank again and starts right up.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAP voltage is regulated to 5vdc by ECM.

If raising RPMS stabilizes voltage, suspect Alternator issues or wiring/ etc..

Small fluctuations are normal....

Starting issue, is the starter slow turning? Recheck timing, timing off can create hard start.

1995tahoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

I tested the map and got 5.1 volts with key on at harness. I got 1.27 backprobed with engine on. I believe that is with-in spec. I was just thinking the high voltage the truck was getting might have made the ecm put out more than the 5v to the map? or the map is starting to go and it is a intermittent problem. a lot of the codes I got seamed to all say for example: (the IAC or the ECM could be at fault).

The hard start is only when truck sits for hours like overnight. The starter is about a year old and cranks surprisingly fast! every time I turn the key it surprises me how well it works. I think i just got lucky with one from the auto parts store.

I will change the alternator tonight with a OEM type I have in good shape and see if that corrects the fluctuating voltage at idle. I really hope it's just the alternator..

Any clue as to why when i turn the key to on. the volts read low around 9v then after a short while they jump to 12+volts. again just key on not running. Actually the more I think about it maybe when i first turn the key to on, the fuel pump turns on and pressurizes? If the pump is going it's taking a lot of amps at first then when stabilizes the volts come up?

I will try to take a short vid of the voltage gauge before I swap the alternators to show both the drain for a few seconds with key on then the erratic high voltage at Idle. Hmmm not really looking foward to a fuel pump change in 20 degree weather....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAP high voltage would be a short from the 5vdc supply to the sensor to the sense line (the one that has the varying voltage), I would say could be a defective sensor, the 5v line can be shared by other sensors like the TPS, etc....

Parts store starter sounds like you got a good one, I went through my starter because it was draggy and started grinding when you let off the key, much better now. For a hard start I would check overnight resting voltage on the battery, report value back, Fuel pressure at key on engine off after overnight sitting, and fuel pressure bleed off (could be a leaky FPR).

Alternator could cause your 9v after start then rising to 12v+ as the regulator could be flakey in it and take a while to engage the field in the alt. Fuel pump is fused at 10A, I dont think the 9v is caused by that, I would get the battery checked tho, it could have a bad cell....

As far as the fuel pump, how old is it? Is it stock/ aftermarket? How many miles on your rig?

1995tahoe

Reaction score
Fuel Pump

So I got Lazy and brought the Tahoe to the local mechanic for trouble shooting. After a day and a half they said fuel pump (problem was truck was hard to start and sometimes had to spray starting fluid in then started right up and ran ok) they put a new fuel pump assembly in and never changed the wire harness so a day later and tow back they apologized and changed the harness. since then about a week the truck has been starting no problem.

I still have the voltage flutter which I still need to change out the alternator to see if that fixes it. as of now about a year old I have a tuff stuff I think 140amp alternator with smaller pulley to put more amps out at idle to try to combat the lights dimming at idle. Lately the volts flutter between 14v and 15v I think until truck is warm (alternator warm?) then usually stays at 14V.

Not sure if the smaller pulley on the alternator could cause the voltage regulator to fail since at highway speeds I am spinning it well over the intended RPM's?

Last edited:

1995tahoe

Reaction score
Ok so I changed out the alternator last night to a OEM one I had laying around with the stock pulley. No change in the volt flutter. It seems that sometimes the volts are steady at close to 14v then out of no where after a throttle blip the volts will go down to 12v or below then back up and most of the time when cold the volts will jump between 14v and close to 15v. the gauge on the dash just reads slightly over 14V but the SUN gauge will be the one jumping and you can see the lights get brighter dimmer brighter dimmer with the volts. I looked all around under the tahoe last night and messed with every wire harness and ground I could find but made no difference. Tonight I will try to pull one fuse at a time and see if it straightens out to try to narrow it down.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your belt for glazing and the tensioner for its tightness....