96 Tahoe AC repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simon30

Reaction score
My dads tahoe hasn't had working AC in 6 years so I decided to tackle the job.
I know nothing about air conditioning but started researching online and decided I'd give a shot. I bought a set of decent mastercool gauges and a 3cfm dual stage vacuum pump. I also bought a new sanden compressor, Condensor, accumulator, orifice tube and complete seal kit. Now the fun begins, the old accumlator was frozen to the evaporator, it came off but I ended up twisting the evaporator pipe and putting a slight buckle in it but it seems to hold pressure. I flushed the evaporator with denatured alcohol and moved on to the Condensor removal. The bottom line to that was frozen and that line snapped. Now I ordered a new line for 17 bux no biggie. Installed the new orifice tube and added 4.5 ounces of pag to the accumulator and the compressor paperwork claims the compressor was pre filled with 4.5 ounces. At the time I swore the paperwork said compressor had 3.5 ounces and i was trying to get a total of 8 ounces as per the vehicle requirements. Vacuumed it for 15 minutes, it held 30 inches for 30 minutes so I did a one hour vacuum and filled the system with 3 cans of r134. The vent temp was 62 degrees F at best. The low side read 57 psi and the high was 250. Obviously the low was too high. Two days later I decide to get that extra ounce of oil out of the system so I attack it again. Now I realize all my gas purged out of the system and I see oil on the compressor hose. I counted 3 little holes in a 5 inch section that goes over the alternator. I just ordered a new hose but out of curiosity I took a razor blade and cut that section of the hose out and cut the hose open, it's full of cracks. I'm now thinking the part of the hose I cut open is where it was leaking but it's straight right there so I'm wondering how bad the hose is internally where it makes a bend to the condenser. If the hose has an internal flap or partial restriction that is probably what caused my high pressure??? In a few days I'll get the new hose. I also removed the new orifice tube and there was a tiny but of hose material on the screen so I guess I will need to flush the new condenser and the evaporator AGAIN. Comments welcome.

hshark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused as to why you replaced almost the entire system? Did you have a previous compressor failure?

Simon30

Reaction score
The compressor was bad and so was the fan clutch. The line from the Condensor to evap was frozen so the Condensor got ruined. The accumulator was frozen to the evaporator that's how the evaporator pipe got twisted. There was no black death.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SPAMMER, leave and quit posting on year old posts....