96 Tahoe ...no forward gears but still has Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WaveWizard3

Reaction score
Hi there fellow Tahoe owners. I have a 96 Tahoe that I'm having a problem with. I have no forward gears but still have Reverse. I thought for sure that it was the transmission, but now I'm not so sure. Let me explain: When I would put it in D, 3, 2, or 1 it won't move. But when I put it in Reverse, it engages and moves like it should. Now, here's where it gets weird.....I now have the whole thing on Jack stands, front and rear. Now When I put it intoD, 3, 2, or 1 the back wheels turn as does the driveshaft. I checked the main gears in the rear....all is good. I also pulled the transmission pan and all is good there visually. I'm totally stumped. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jaystoy

Reaction score
Most likely the sun she'll has either stripped it's teeth or the ring gear has snapped off the sun shell. Very very weak part on these 4l60e's