97 transfer case vs. 98-99 autotrac 4wd system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dan50

Reaction score
Hey everyone

It's my understanding that the Autotrac system arrived in 98. If I'm right, it's the same system that our 2002 TrailBlazer had.

What was the system that was in the previous Tahoes (such as 97)? Was it a traditional part time 4WD system? Anyone know the real name for the transfer cases? My Bronco has a NP208, and I've owned a few others with NP1345s and NP1356s, not real in the know on what Chevy uses.

Last question - apparently you can drive in the "Auto" mode and the computer will shift from 2WD high to 4WD high and back on the fly when it detects wheelspin, up until the point where it finds itself shifting too frequently, whereupon it will lock the system in 4WD high (this is what the TrailBlazer manual with Autotrac described the system as). Has anyone had problems with the Autotrac FAILING because it shifted too much, or because it locked in 4WD high while driving on pavement?

I moved to PA and in the mountains there are patches of snow that cover the roads, but then there may be miles without anything other than wet pavement, and the Autotrac is appealing for me. Although, it's possible that real AWD would be a better choice.

Thanks
Dan