99 Tahoe Loud Whining Noise Only When Accelerating.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anuryism

Reaction score
Okay.. I have been searching the web and tons of forums to find answers. I have a 99 tahoe, It's making a Loud Whining noise ONLY when i accelerate past 35+ And immediatley stops when i take my foot off the gas. It does not happen when i am in park or neutral. I just had a New transmisson and Rear end installed last week. Noise is still not gone . I really need some insight on this before investing more money. Thanks in advance!

niik

Reaction score
Just bought a 99 Tahoe too, and it seems that on these models from what I read all over the internets, a whining sound is sometimes the sign of a dying fuel pump, like the one I am going to replace next week.

Although mine does not make a whining sound. Yet.
But then it does not send enough fuel either.

You could perhaps try to drive at 70 and floor it to see if the transmission kicks down. If it doesn't or seems to hesitate, or if you dont get any acceleration, then you may have the same problem as me.

But I am no expert.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would test the fuel pressure if you are worried about the pump, but I would suspect your rear end is noisy (mine howls 35+ when accelerating to 55ish -hard to tell the 3" flowmaster is kinda noisy that fast) The ring/pinion will howl when accelerating and when you let off the back side of the gears are meshing so no sound.... Check fluid level and quality, 3/8" square plug on front side of differential passenger side, you can use a 3/8" ratchet to pull it out.

Noise could be due to worn or improperly setup gears...... Was the new rear "NEW" or a new Junkyard/ used one?

Anuryism

Reaction score
Rear end was a used one, but I was assured by the mechanic it was in good working order with only 50k on it ( could have been lying of course) Today I lost 3rd and 4th gear in the transmission he put in too. Checked fluid levels, Black, and smelled terrible. Burnt my noise hairs. Then i let it run for a while, checked fluid again, Didn't see much on the dipstick. So i dumped 2qts in. Still nothing. Possible chance he didn't put tranny fluid in???? Good chance he didn't even fix anything, I paid him 3 grand. He also claimed to have repaired the output shaft in the transfer case. I was also told the whining noise could be the tranny. Now this noise is so loud you can't even hear yourself think, And you have to YELL to speak to anyone in the car. It's unbearable. I'm actually taking it to a dealer for a free checkover and they are going to let me know if any of those things are actually fixed or not. Strangley this guy painted the rearend black??? NO idea why he did that, i didn't ask him to. Thanks for the posts guys!

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 99 Tahoe too, and it seems that on these models from what I read all over the internets, a whining sound is sometimes the sign of a dying fuel pump, like the one I am going to replace next week.

Although mine does not make a whining sound. Yet.
But then it does not send enough fuel either.

You could perhaps try to drive at 70 and floor it to see if the transmission kicks down. If it doesn't or seems to hesitate, or if you dont get any acceleration, then you may have the same problem as me.

But I am no expert.

Actually its 60mph not 70 :D

ma87k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you lost 3rd and 4th gear in your tranny then puting more fluid will not get then back. Was the tranny 100% rebuilt or used? If used then it was already on it's way out. Some places will only replace the stuff that looks bad and not do a 100% rebuild. The tranny will wine and slip if fluid is low. You can rebuild the tranny yourself as long as you have the book to do it. The hardest part would be to seperate the housing. It has torx screws. I haven't tackeled one yet. I have done other chevy trannys though. Good luck.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a whining noise in my 96, in my case I know it is a ground fault somewhere that is causing the whine to come through the speakers, oddly enough it still happens when my deck is turned off.... not sure what your whine sounds like, but never hurts to check your grounds

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some "Decks" internal amplifiers are constantly on even tho the rest is shut down.....