A/C Grinding Noise at Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoeguy83

Reaction score
I've had my '08 Tahoe a little over a year now and continue to have this problem. The service department at my local Chevy House at first gave me a print out of the problem, but told me there was no fix for it. The noise was a normal operating sound. But after a year of dealing with this LOUD grinding sound, which happens off and on, it isn't a constant, and having people give me looks in parking lots, I'd gotten tired of this issue. So I've taken it for routine maintenance, and every time I ask about this issue, now they claim to not know anything about it, and they can't make my vehicle make this sound.

The sound usually happens after the vehicle has sat overnight or for an extended amount of time, two or three hours. It isn't the engine, as it only happens right after the air kicks on a few seconds after the car is started. It grinds for 2-5 seconds and then it stops.

The print off they gave me the first time, said this issue could happen to any 2007 or 2008 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade, and it was a block of ice getting sucked through a tube, and the grinding was the ice breaking apart....I dunno! Thats what they said.

Just curious if anyone else had this problem and if they'd gotten it fixed. I love my Z71 but I am getting really sick of this sound which happens almost daily now.

Thanks!

tahoeguy83

Reaction score
LOL, oh that's it alright! Mine will do it longer sometimes, and in a crowded parking lot, it's VERY embarrassing!

So you've had this problem and they updated it and now you no longer have the problem?

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I actually emailed that url to my Chevy service advisor and told him I wanted that ECM update. That was 2 months ago and I haven't had it happen since.

tahoeguy83

Reaction score
Fan-freakin-tastic!

I'm printing all of this out and getting up at the crack of dawn to have them fix this!

I can't thank you enough!

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just passing on some info that helped ME, too! These forums are great. Good luck, I hope this is the fix for your problem.

tahoeguy83

Reaction score
So I took my vehicle in, told them the problem, gave them the bulletin number, told them to reprogram the ECM, etc. When I went to pick it up, the service report said that they weren't able to duplicate the noise (which duh, it doesn't happen everyday), so they didn't find a need to correct a problem which was non-existent.

I am really pissed with my service department, I thought this was a really a simple reprogramming issue which shouldn't have taken very long to complete. Rather than have me leave my vehicle overnight for them to just ignore me.

I can't wait to get my survey from corporate and I'm going to let them have it. I am so sick of the way I'm treated at this department.

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took my vehicle in, told them the problem, gave them the bulletin number, told them to reprogram the ECM, etc. When I went to pick it up, the service report said that they weren't able to duplicate the noise (which duh, it doesn't happen everyday), so they didn't find a need to correct a problem which was non-existent.

I am really pissed with my service department, I thought this was a really a simple reprogramming issue which shouldn't have taken very long to complete. Rather than have me leave my vehicle overnight for them to just ignore me.

I can't wait to get my survey from corporate and I'm going to let them have it. I am so sick of the way I'm treated at this department.

Thats what they did to me BEFORE the bulletin came out. I showed him the video above (which is my truck) and he considered that good enough and they did it. Give them 0's when you get that CSI report from GM.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes, I watched your video TACO, it caused me physical pain to hear that noise... Glad there is a fix for it!

sarahw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taco--your original thread and video has helped so many people out.

TahoeGuy--I can't believe the dealership did that, considering that there is a SERVICE BULLETIN for the damn problem. Can you take the truck to a different dealership? What a bummer.

Bardo

Reaction score
New to the forum and new to the Tahoe. I recently purchased a 07 Tahoe LT and it did this to me last night. It actually shut the engine down. Thanks for the info, guys.