A few annoying noises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjames07

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new here to the forum but a previous memeber of a ford forum, but we all know ford so I went out and got me a 2000 HOE...:cool:

Anywho, i have discovered 2 noises that are really irritating me,

1. Low fuel whistle - I noticed that when the fuel gets below 1/4 tank I get this loud whistling noise. I am assuming its the fuel pump, but can anyone explain why or how to stop this or does it require a complete fuel pump replacement.

2. Vent Blower Grinding - the blower for the A/C & heat has this horrible vibrating and grinding noise when I turn it to level 3 and above. I took the panel off and the cover but cant figure out how to get inside to see is something is trapped in there. I pushed up on it and the noise quited down however it is vibrating like crazy, you can feel it throughout the vehicle.

Well any info is truly appreciated!!! I look forward to spending time learning how to improve/upgrade my vehicle here instead of trying to barely keep it running like I was that old Bronco of mine.

Matt

mattjames07

Reaction score
scott99zx6r;72304 #2 pull the blower motor out and look for debris or broken fins on cage.[/QUOTE said:
How do I pull the blower motor out...I tried last night I removed the cover for the blower but I cant see how it comes out. Even if there is debris in there I dont think it explains the excessive vibrations throughout the truck and the fact that the noise stops (vibrating doesnt) when I push up on the blower moter?

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only thing i can think of is if it was loose that could be it or just a bad motor.

mattjames07

Reaction score
thanks for all the info I am going to take it in for the 90,000 mile service sometime next week so I will have them check it then. I will let yall know what the problem was so other who have the same problem will know.

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump "whistle" - my '00 Tahoe 5.3L has had this noise since around 20K miles (now at 98K miles). Dealer has said this is "normal" (I say B.S.) and would never replace it under warranty. It has, however, lasted this way for over 5 years.

Sounds like you have debris in your heating/cooling air plenum. Cabin filters (Purolator) were just on sale at AutoZone for $12.00 (2 per box). It comes with instructions for install.

FYI

mattjames07

Reaction score
Fuel pump "whistle" - my '00 Tahoe 5.3L has had this noise since around 20K miles (now at 98K miles). Dealer has said this is "normal" (I say B.S.) and would never replace it under warranty. It has, however, lasted this way for over 5 years.

Sounds like you have debris in your heating/cooling air plenum. Cabin filters (Purolator) were just on sale at AutoZone for $12.00 (2 per box). It comes with instructions for install.

FYI

Hey thanks for the info, mine only does it when the tank goes below 1/2...its more annoying than anything else.

Does anyone know how to remove the blower motor I pulled the panel off and got to the motor but I cant seem to get it out...I am notorious for breaking stuff so I dont want to force it and then not be able to put it back in!!!

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info, mine only does it when the tank goes below 1/2...its more annoying than anything else.

Does anyone know how to remove the blower motor I pulled the panel off and got to the motor but I cant seem to get it out...I am notorious for breaking stuff so I dont want to force it and then not be able to put it back in!!!

Yes, mine only whistles when slightly below 1/2 and lower also.

Never took the blower motor out, but you may get by, by blowing the system air ducts and plenum out with compressed air or a good strong shop vac on set to blow, not vac.

Good Luck

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Matt -

I saw this additive by GM that may help the noise. I have not tried it yet, but it appears to leave a protective "film" on parts in the pump that may quiet the noise.

The GM bottle looks just like a Chevron "Techron" bottle, but Techron never mentions it has any kind of "filmer" in it to protect parts.

As soon as I can get over to the dealer, I will get a bottle of the stuff and give it a go.

Hope this info comes through for ya.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits #05-00-89-078 - (Nov 9, 2005)

2006 and Prior All GM Cars and Trucks

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

2006 HUMMER H3

2006 and Prior Saturn (Canada Only)

2005-2006 Saab 9-7X

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco�, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available.

Added Benefits and Uses
The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

You Get Four Benefits
One bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS added to the fuel tank at each oil change:

� Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.
� Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.
� Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.
� Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS will replace the original GM Fuel System Treatment, P/N 12345104 (in Canada, 89020804). The original formula may still be available for a limited time, and provides the excellent Fuel System Cleaning aspects of the new product without the filmer.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco, use 88861013)

(in Canada, 88861012)

GM PARTS DIRECT SITE -
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
CATEGORY: Vehicle Care
PACK QTY: 6
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $25.15
OUR PRICE: $14.90

mattjames07

Reaction score
Well that actually sounds like it might work, let me know how it turns out.