ABS Problems on 99 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chance9

Reaction score
Hello. I am new here and just recently picked up a 1999 Tahoe 4door LT. I have noticed the brakes are spongy and go down pretty far when stopping. Also when i start it up for the first time in the day and drive like 5-10 mph and press the brake it stops super quick...too quick. I was sitting at a red light with my foot on the brake and it started moving, and i have to press even farther on the pedal which i know is not right.... Anyway I took it to goodyear and they said I need a new ABS pump becuase its leaking fluid right onto the wheelwell, but its a really slow leak it seems like. They said its like a 700$ part and 400$ labor to fix which i dont have right now...I was wondering if anyone else knows much about these ABS Systems?? Thanks

chance9

Reaction score
All the lines seem fine to me...Is it normal to have sort of soft brakes on these tahoes?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well first you want to inspect and repair any type of brake fluid leaks you do want to take off the rear tires and brake drums to inspect the rear brake wheel cylinders to make sure there not leaking if not the you want to adjust the rear brakes that should help give you a better stiffer brake pedal

blue 99 2 dr sport

Reaction score
ABS

I had a ABS problem with my 99, I diagnosed it down to a ABS wheel speed sensor. Almost exact same symptoms as you describe. i pulled the fuse for the ABS system to disable it with the intentions of fixing it the next weekend. But i honestly like the way it stops better without the ABS so i never fixed it. Cant say for sure if you are having the same problem as i did but my Tahoe stops way shorter now than it ever did when the ABS was functional. Good luck.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say blue 99 giving that type of advice is putting someones safety at risk if you ever have a panic stop and or lock up the wheels due to the disablement of the ABS system that can potentially cause a loss of control and or even a roll over putting others lives at risk.. just sayin I mean no disrespect to you but brakes are a safety related issue that shouldn't be messed with

mellophonium

Reaction score
I had the same problems as chance9 and I did the same thing as blue 99. Brakes work fine now. There was a recall for "northern" trucks because the speed sensors would corrode. The sensors on my Tahoe have corroded but are not covered by the recall because I live too far south. This issue has caused others to have an accident. If this is the problem chance9 is having then it is better to remove the fuse until it can be fixed.

Last edited:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the front axles and scrub the tone ring with a wire brush..... no more corrosion....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just regurgitating info.. heard it before, never had to do it personally....