Affects of changing tire size on 2004 z71 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmorgan4

Reaction score
I am looking to go to a 285 tire instead of the factory 265. I have heard that it may affect my ABS and some other things and wanted some second opinions. I have friends that have changed their tire size and have experienced no problems but want to make sure in case of a wreck it doesn't affect me unexpectedly...I also heard chevy can put a new program on the tahoe but it will cost around 600 dollars...Any help is appreciated

Also, any rec's on tires? I am thinking michelin m/s ltx

Thanks!

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to put 285's on my 2004 LT but they talked me out of it at my tire place. They told me if I was going to upsize only go up to 275's because 285's are actually too wide for the stock 17'' rims, which increases your risk of having a blowout at highway speeds. So that made me think twice. I went with 275/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. I've put a thousand miles on them since last week and they are doing very well. Soft and quiet ride with an aggressive tread pattern and look. You don't have to make any other modifications when with 275's, in some cases, depending on the tire, with 285s you need to crank the torsion bars so they don't rub and you really need to have the speedo recalibrated if you go up two sizes. To me one more size wasn't worth all the trouble.

They don't make the LTX M/S in the 285/70/17 size. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...width=285/&ratio=70&diameter=17&startIndex=10

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to put 285's on my 2004 LT but they talked me out of it at my tire place. They told me if I was going to upsize only go up to 275's because 285's are actually too wide for the stock 17'' rims, which increases your risk of having a blowout at highway speeds. So that made me think twice. I went with 275/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. I've put a thousand miles on them since last week and they are doing very well. Soft and quiet ride with an aggressive tread pattern and look. You don't have to make any other modifications when with 275's, in some cases, depending on the tire, with 285s you need to crank the torsion bars so they don't rub and you really need to have the speedo recalibrated if you go up two sizes. To me one more size wasn't worth all the trouble.

They don't make the LTX M/S in the 285/70/17 size. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...width=285/&ratio=70&diameter=17&startIndex=10

Would the 275's fit the oem rim ? I have the z71 rims on my truck
hate to ask what you paid for them :)

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the 275's fit the oem rim ? I have the z71 rims on my truck
hate to ask what you paid for them :)

Yeah, 275's are the biggest that they recommend putting on the oem 17's.

The tires were $207 each but by the time they added on lifetime balancing and rotations, free replacement, taxes, and installation it was $1076. Not too bad, but not one of the cheaper tires either. I'm happy with the way they turned out.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've installed many sets of 285's on stock 17's, they wear fine and are safe for the wheel width. My brother was running 305/70/16s with stock 7" wheels on his duramax, they will crown alot easier with a wider tire (305) but the 285s will fit just fine and you shouldn't need to crank the tbars unless you hate the raked look of a stock tahoe. Raised 1" higher up front and an alignment might be a good idea with the 285s, nitto terra grapplers are a good cheap tire in that size.

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats b.s ,, a 285 is not to wide for the rim,.

Here look at the tire calculator , you are adding an inch of width to the tire. Big deal LOL...
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Your only concern would be the speedo , it will read wrong , and a custom tune such as a wait4me would correct this and add power and gas mileage for around 165.00 including a PCM shipped to you.

bmorgan4

Reaction score
Well, thanks everyone for your 2 cents. I don't really care about getting a huge tire so I will stick with the 275 idea, and raising my torsion bars a little will also give it a little more aggressive look. As for the PCM comment, what exactly is that and where do I get it? and how hard is it to install? (for a 04 z71 tahoe).

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, thanks everyone for your 2 cents. I don't really care about getting a huge tire so I will stick with the 275 idea, and raising my torsion bars a little will also give it a little more aggressive look. As for the PCM comment, what exactly is that and where do I get it? and how hard is it to install? (for a 04 z71 tahoe).

A 275 ??? Why ?

275 is 8.1 WIDE .. height 33.2

285 is 8.4 wide .. height 33.8

Unless the 275 is a good deal cheaper , which I doubt as it may be an odd ball size , get the 285 , which millions of Chevy truck owners run daily all over the country.

The PCM is the brain of the engine , it needs to be recalibrate to show the proper speed with the bigger tire .. Google wait4meperformance , PCM core , tuned to your truck is 165.00 shipped to your door ..