Alternate 2nd Batt location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TangibleGhost

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is another place on my yukon (95) to put the second battery. I would put it under the hood where it's supposed to go but I need the space for something else (electrolyzer, whole nother thread.....). I was thinking I might be able to put it under the rear of the truck by the spare tire. I know it would have to be a sealed batt, probably yellow top, cause I would probably have to mount it sideways in a custom bracket. Do you think I would have room for it down there or can you guys think of another place I might be able to put it? I'm out of the country right now so it's a bit hard to look for myself. Thanks for any input I can get.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about removing the trim on the pass side way back, and see if it could fit behind that panel

TangibleGhost

Reaction score
I think I've looked in there and the room isn't that much from what I remember. But I will be getting a better look at that area when I'm putting in the sound dampening here in about a month or so. I will keep the area in mind.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What will the 2nd battery be used for?

I had one of those Optima batteries mounted on it's side in a camaro for several years without a problem.

TangibleGhost

Reaction score
It would be used for the same thing that 90% of the other ppl who put in a second batt use it for. Dedicated power for the amp. Of course I also want to put in a battery isolator under the hood too. I don't like doing anything half assed. I need to get back to the states so I can actually look at the truck.

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the '95s use the air cleaner mounted on top of the throttle body? I figure if I didn't have the air filter box mounted on the fender in my '96, I would have enough room to mount a second battery there.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did my second battery, I used the marine switch, for selecting the battery. Left, right, or both with an off position.

I also used 2.0 wire and ran it through heater hose to protect it where it ran under the car.

The Littlefuse "Mega" style fuse is also sold by marine stores. A fuse to protect the second battery is a good idea.

I would stick with the red top optima. I have had nothing but trouble with the yellow top's.

After everything is hooked up, be sure you are able to maintain 14 volts. If not, the alternator will need to be "souped up". Good luck...........

TangibleGhost

Reaction score
After everything is hooked up, be sure you are able to maintain 14 volts. If not, the alternator will need to be "souped up".

Yeah, that's another thing thats already planned. Between the second battery, the 1k watt amp and the 6 cell electrolyzer there is going to be a heavy load on the electrical system in the truck. So yeah, planning at least 140amp alternator upgrade to be safe.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put my 3rd batt under rear pass side of mine. i used the metal with all the holes in it.

i cut it and used nuts &bolts to hold the bottom tray together(wish i had a welder)
drilled two holes in the rear floor for the threaded rods to come through.

i will take more pics of it.i check it some times to make sure it`s not loose but so far no

problems. look in (custom enclosers)

TangibleGhost

Reaction score
Did you lay the 3rd on it's side or just got one with side terminals? Perforated metal box isn't a bad idea. My only issue would be putting the bolts through the floor. I would have to get some flat head bolts at like 12" long or so to keep from having any noticable change to the floor. Bumps in the floor due to regular bolts or worse with threaded rod and nuts would just aggravate me

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the batt is laying up right like under the hood. the bolts are behind the jack cover panel

so you don't see it. i worked late today so i didn't take the pics of it
i will take pics tonight and see how it comes out if not i will do it in the morning. did

you look in audio&video in this forum thread (custom inclosers)

TangibleGhost

Reaction score
cool with the pics. tyvm. I will be running through that section in a minute. Haven't gotten around to it till now. I'm forgetful.

EDIT: Ok, just found it. From the look of it theres room. Any issues with clearance with the spare? I like the way the angle iron was used, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Last edited:

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres more pics see if these shed some light on the mounting

Attachments

• HPIM0427.JPG
    HPIM0427.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 3
  • HPIM0429.JPG
    HPIM0429.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 4
  • HPIM0430.JPG
    HPIM0430.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 3
  • HPIM0431.JPG
    HPIM0431.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 3
  • HPIM0433.JPG
    HPIM0433.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 3

TangibleGhost

Reaction score
wow, ok. So it will actually fit between the side panel and the leaf springs... damn truck has even more room than I thought. Well, that would simplify running the pwr cable to the amp but still gotta run a wire from front to back, which is fine. Do you know if there's comparable room on the driver's side too? Not for another battery, just curious. Fuel filler might be in the way I suppose... Anyway, thanks a lot for the pics man. That's probably where I'm gonna throw the second one and now I got an idea of what I'm getting into.