Any ideas on the best way to apply these emblems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got some Type-R emblems that i want to put on the tahoe.....:smilielol::smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

Im only kidding....

Seriously though, i bought two tahoe emblems, (the new model chrome ones) from the factory and i have a few ideas.

Here is my problem at the moment... i want to center the emblem across the rear hatch and spread the emblem out to about 20"

This is going to require me to sperate each letter... any ideas as to how to make sure this thing stays level? What can i use to mark my truck that wont damage the paint and will wash off (not dry erase marker as it rubs off to easy)? Also, any ideas as to how i can get a perfectly level 20" horizontal line drawn across the back?

I was thinking about using a chalk line...

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know. Me personally I would stay away from adding to my Kon. I removed my emblems. The more I think about it, I think you can pull it off. I mean you made them taillights unique.
Run some tape across the back and used that as a straight edge. Measure the entire length and equally space the letters.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put this together on visio, kind of an idea of what i am trying to do...

Attachments

• Landvatter Wine Room Door.jpg
    Landvatter Wine Room Door.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 26

yukondoit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see where you're going with it. That should look pretty good, different. Not too close or too far apart. Plus you can always take them off.

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could use a Grease Pencil and when your done just use a lil rubbing alcohol to get it off.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not use some masking tape, the blue stuff works awesome and comes right off when you are done, I also use pin stripe tape for linings things up…………
I would never draw on my truck, that’s just me…..

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should fit well on your computer, or in the garbage can. I'd try the chalk line method if you actually want to use them.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m all about doing something different. Everyone has done the de-badge thing……… I say go for it!

With masking tape (or any other) the trick is NOT to run your thumb along it as you are applying it. Stick one edge, measure the height, NOT from the bumper or the ground, both can be uneven… from the bottom of the piece you are applying to. Then roll it out, make it taunt, (AWAY FORM THE TRUCK, with the one side stuck) then bring it down slowly and stick the other end. BAM you have a perfectly straight line.

Last edited:

jgiguere17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got some Type-R emblems that i want to put on the tahoe.....:smilielol::smilielol::smilielol::smilielol:

Im only kidding....

Seriously though, i bought two tahoe emblems, (the new model chrome ones) from the factory and i have a few ideas.

Here is my problem at the moment... i want to center the emblem across the rear hatch and spread the emblem out to about 20"

This is going to require me to sperate each letter... any ideas as to how to make sure this thing stays level? What can i use to mark my truck that wont damage the paint and will wash off (not dry erase marker as it rubs off to easy)? Also, any ideas as to how i can get a perfectly level 20" horizontal line drawn across the back?

I was thinking about using a chalk line...

I did this on my Acura and I used painters tape. it wont adhear too much to the paint just clean the surface first. then to make it all level measure from the bottom of the hatch up to your desired height I would do4-5 marks and then run the tape across those lines. I have seen them do this in a body shop too.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like they said, blue masking tape and measure from a spot on the truck. Once you have the tape up you can mark on it where you want each letter then measure each individual letter for height from the bottom or whatever you used as your baseline. for that matter, one the tape is up, put squares of tape where the letters would be, pull off the straight line and step back and see how it looks. If all's cool put the tape back so it touches every square you had up and you should be good to go.

I think it will look good when you git er dun.

Copper&BlackYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need a laser level for your house...buy one and set it up at the height you want and your set...assuming of course your truck is level

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use masking tape and wing it! tape the letters on and make adjustments as you go. Just kidding measure from the bottom of the hatch and go with the masking tape