Any one with long tube headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

odie301

Reaction score
I'm new here, was looking for header info haven't found any yet..maybe i just not looking in the right place. Any who, I have a 04 tahoe 5.3l flex fuel. I was looking at putting on Long tube headers, anyone ever used Dynomax blackjack headers? I found a set brand new for like $110. I know everyone thinks that headers should be expensive and fancy..but i have seen more headers with black paint on race cars, and they never blow through them.

So, any advice on installing long tubes? is it a pain in the buttola? is it worth putting them on, do you gain better torque and such? I have heard that shorties are more of a show item then a performance help(gain is small) compared to long tubes, is that true or would shorties be just as good? I know shorties are easier to install (i put a set on a 95 tahoe once). Any reason why headers would be bad with the flex fuel part? I don't see any reason why they would be, but i wouldn't be here if i knew everything! lol.

General exhaust question as well, what are people running, true duals? Or y'ing to duals? I know i need to leave my cats, or get hi performance ones.. but is a true dual a better performance gain than having it merge and then split again? I want a bit of rumble but not too loud i was thinking flowmasters(have always liked that sound).. Anyone running true duals with dual mufflers?

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I installed longtubes on mine and am happy with them.

It is a custom installation and does require welding. Give yourself a good day to install them, depending on the header design, there could be a need to beat on the heat shields or they could go right in.

We had true duals on the Silverado, but the noise was really loud.

00' 323

Reaction score
I cut my y pipe and welded in a 'test' pipe and then some glasspacks installed backwards. after that my exhaust was true dual with a little loss on lowend but if i step on the gass at a stand still my ho will still get sideways and then once she winds up to 6k... holy **** does the exhaust sound sweet!!!