Approach lighting question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbleezy

Reaction score
does anyone know if it's possible to disable just the headlights on the approach lighting setting?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah.....its done through the DIC. I did it on my Tahoe but can't really explain how but I do know it hassomething to do with those control beside the AC vents to the left of the steering wheel with the check mark and stuff!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah.....its done through the DIC. I did it on my Tahoe but can't really explain how but I do know it hassomething to do with those control beside the AC vents to the left of the steering wheel with the check mark and stuff!

ON my truck its to the right of the steering wheel above the Radio next to the air vent. Not the left. Why are they different???

1stimeyukon

Reaction score
hmmm maybe because its an 07? my dad has a nbs 07 silverado and his are to the left of the steering wheel
also what about just doing the turn signals and fog lights for the approach? is that possible?

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh whooops its on the right for me too. I was going say to the left of the Dual vents in the middle but changed my mind and not all my wording!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm maybe because its an 07? my dad has a nbs 07 silverado and his are to the left of the steering wheel
also what about just doing the turn signals and fog lights for the approach? is that possible?

Thats gunna take some wiring mods. Or computer reflash. Dealer work only IMO.

gbleezy

Reaction score
i know you can disable approach lighting from the settings in the DIC, but it disables all lights. i want to only disable the headlights from turning on, not the other lights like the flood lights and reverse lights. is that possible?

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only settings are On/Off for approach lighting.

I have not verified but supposedly if it is "off" the other lights will still come on, just not the headlamps.

(Have not verified)

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what's in the manual...

APPROACH LIGHTING
This feature allows you to select whether or not to
have the exterior lights turn on briefly during
low light periods after unlocking the vehicle using
the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter.
Press the customization button until APPROACH
LIGHTING appears on the DIC display. Press
the set/reset button once to access the settings for
this feature. Then press the customization
button to scroll through the following settings:
OFF: The exterior lights will not turn on when you
unlock the vehicle with the RKE transmitter.
ON (default): If it is dark enough outside, the
exterior lights will turn on briefly when you unlock
the vehicle with the RKE transmitter.
The lights will remain on for 20 seconds or until
the lock button on the RKE transmitter is pressed,
or the vehicle is no longer off. See Remote
Keyless Entry System Operation on page 115 for
more information

macgyver

Reaction score
does anyone know if it's possible to disable just the headlights on the approach lighting setting?

I don't know of a way to do this, but if you figure it out let me know! I hate to have my HIDs turn on and off like that, though I would still like use of the under mirror lights.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the only option is On/Off, but when Off like mine the headlamps don't turon on and he tails flash with the interior lights on!

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep... tried it when I left work. With approach "off", when you unlock, it flashes the brakes and turn signals and then ALL exterior lights are off. The interior dome lights turn on though.

gbleezy

Reaction score
I don't know of a way to do this, but if you figure it out let me know! I hate to have my HIDs turn on and off like that, though I would still like use of the under mirror lights.

Exactly why I want to disable just the headlights. It's bad for the HID's but I like the lights under the side mirrors. Oh well...

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my HIDs should be here next week.

After I install them, I'll look into this. Should be just a single wire change on the relay that controls the headlamps.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the mirror lights that important?
As long as the headlights don't turn on and kill the HID's slowly I coul care less if the mirror lights don't turn, though I don't even have mirror lights!:shhh:

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With Approach Lighting set to off, if you use the remote start it will still turn on the parking lights--no headlamps, no puddle lights, no reverse lights. It's a compromise. I don't think the puddle lights illuminate that much anyway since I always fold my mirrors in.