Auto 4wd Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harry Pluta

Reaction score
Hi all,

We went from a day with 50 degree temps and rain, to single digits with a sub-zero wind chill overnight. My 1997 Tahoe with auto 4wd is now acting funny. When I start the truck it is "stuck" in 2wd, the red "Neutral" indicator light is one, the 2wd light is on, and the 4wd High ( I think ) light is on. I cannot get it to shift into 4wd or 4wd auto. These lights go out after a few minutes of driving.

Has anyone seen or heard of this on a '97 and is there a fix like on the newer models ( Pulling the TREC fuse on a newer unit is supposed to reset it.)

Any help is greatly appreciated as the roads are getting bad here!

Best regards,
Harry

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To reset the controller on my 96 I disconnect the negative battery cable. I have been told it takes about 30 seconds but I have never timed it.

tim@sp

Reaction score
I was told by a GM mechanic that you need to touch the pos. and neg. cables together to reset the ecu when I changed my encoder motor.

You must have them both disconnected to do this obviously.

bowhunter22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you are saying all the lights on the 4x4 control switch are on when you start it. Then they all go out after a miniute or so. (sounds like the control module)

Harry Pluta

Reaction score
So you are saying all the lights on the 4x4 control switch are on when you start it. Then they all go out after a miniute or so. (sounds like the control module)

Three of the five lights go on. The red neutral, the 2wd, and ( I think it is ) the 4wd High lights. Then after a while only the red neutral light is on. If I touch any of the buttons all three light up again.

What's one of these modules run, anyone have an idea?

Thanks,
Harry

ps; Took an hour to get out of my alley this morning, as good as this thing is in the snow as a 4wd, that is how bad it is as a 2wd, :sad: