Auto Lights Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

p26963

Reaction score
So my lights are set to auto. I have noticed that on 2 occasions now when I leave early for work, the exterior and instrument panel lights are on and the nav system is set to the darker colors (it is set to auto). Now this is fine and dandy if it were dark, however at 6am my time it is bright and sunny.

So with that in mind, even though the sensor is uncovered and receiving bright sunlight and the dial for the lights is set to auto, does the auto lights go on and off at specific times? In other words even though it is set to auto, the system always turns lights and panel lights on between 10pm and 7am? That's the only thing that I can think of.

Thoughts? Ideas?

AAHTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my lights are set to auto. I have noticed that on 2 occasions now when I leave early for work, the exterior and instrument panel lights are on and the nav system is set to the darker colors (it is set to auto). Now this is fine and dandy if it were dark, however at 6am my time it is bright and sunny.

So with that in mind, even though the sensor is uncovered and receiving bright sunlight and the dial for the lights is set to auto, does the auto lights go on and off at specific times? In other words even though it is set to auto, the system always turns lights and panel lights on between 10pm and 7am? That's the only thing that I can think of.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Is your Tahoe parked in a garage? Mine does the same thing but I am in the garage and it is not as bright as outside. I also noticed that if I stop for coffee in the morning (Sunny & 6am) and I park under a tree with shade - the exterior lights come on when I start the truck.

Timgco

Reaction score
I'm not 100% on this, but, where do you have your daytime and night settings at. I thought you had to set those and than put it to auto. so when it does change on teh auto setting, it's where you want it.

Since we park our trucks in a garage, we get the same thing in the morning. The auto setting does turn off though after driving into the sun for a few minutes.

I think what you are experienceing is normal with the exception of your settings. I had to mess with mine on my 07 Av and our 07 Tahoe.

p26963

Reaction score
It works normally when I park it in the garage (set to night) and then it switches when I come out of the garage. My problem is that it never comes out of night mode when I leave early for work at around 6am (now happened 2 times). And it continues to stay in night mode for the duration of my drive to work which is about 20 minutes. The next time I get into the Tahoe everything is normal again (switched to day mode).

Nothing is on the dash to even get in the way of the sensor. It is odd. Maybe I should add it to the gremlins list. :D

Timgco

Reaction score
It works normally when I park it in the garage (set to night) and then it switches when I come out of the garage. My problem is that it never comes out of night mode when I leave early for work at around 6am (now happened 2 times). And it continues to stay in night mode for the duration of my drive to work which is about 20 minutes. The next time I get into the Tahoe everything is normal again (switched to day mode).

Nothing is on the dash to even get in the way of the sensor. It is odd. Maybe I should add it to the gremlins list. :D

OK, I understand now. I think your list is the way to go. Maybe the dealer has some magical "reflash?" Good luck on that one.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you drive towards or away from the sun when this happens? Sounds like a weird question, but I'll share something I've been noticing lately, maybe it applies? I've noticed now a few times on my way home from work (varies, but usually around 6:30-7:00PM), the auto lights come on. Now, this is Souther California, south on the 405 out of Irvine area, and nowhere near dark (been getting dark lately about 8:30-8:45). What I also notice is that the MAJORITY of the cars behind me ALSO have their headlights on, and it is FAR from dark...many of these are Lexus, BMW, GM, etc, the cars that have auto lights standard now. We are driving AWAY from the setting sun, which is at our backs for the most part as we angle that way down the highway. My guess is that since the dash and front end of the car is relatively "dark" in the shadows, that the auto lights sensors are all turning on "prematurely" (in our human opinion)?? This is just a theory, but it's something I have noticed now that daylight savings is here...again, it doesn't happen every night, and usually just when the sun is at the right angle behind us...but I thought maybe this was similar to your situation? I thought maybe I had set the auto lights setting too low (they ARE customizable), but seeing all the cars behind me with their lights on as well brought me to this theory. Let's face it, California drivers are not the most safety conscious, so I KNOW they are not all turning their lights on by themselves! ha,ha

I don't know, just an observation I made...my auto lights work perfectly otherwise, as they have on all my GMs...

p26963

Reaction score
I think you are right. The two times in the morning and now one time at night was driving with my rear towards the rising/setting sun. After it happening last night I was thinking maybe the intensity of the light was the cause. But it could also be the angle.

Do you drive towards or away from the sun when this happens? Sounds like a weird question, but I'll share something I've been noticing lately, maybe it applies? I've noticed now a few times on my way home from work (varies, but usually around 6:30-7:00PM), the auto lights come on. Now, this is Souther California, south on the 405 out of Irvine area, and nowhere near dark (been getting dark lately about 8:30-8:45). What I also notice is that the MAJORITY of the cars behind me ALSO have their headlights on, and it is FAR from dark...many of these are Lexus, BMW, GM, etc, the cars that have auto lights standard now. We are driving AWAY from the setting sun, which is at our backs for the most part as we angle that way down the highway. My guess is that since the dash and front end of the car is relatively "dark" in the shadows, that the auto lights sensors are all turning on "prematurely" (in our human opinion)?? This is just a theory, but it's something I have noticed now that daylight savings is here...again, it doesn't happen every night, and usually just when the sun is at the right angle behind us...but I thought maybe this was similar to your situation? I thought maybe I had set the auto lights setting too low (they ARE customizable), but seeing all the cars behind me with their lights on as well brought me to this theory. Let's face it, California drivers are not the most safety conscious, so I KNOW they are not all turning their lights on by themselves! ha,ha

I don't know, just an observation I made...my auto lights work perfectly otherwise, as they have on all my GMs...

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I missed this feature. Can you elaborate on how it's done?

Thanks.

Unless I'm mixing up the Tahoe with the GTO, it's part of the settings options menu? I believe you can set the lights to come on quicker or slower, whichever you prefer...sorry, don't have the manual, but toggle through the settings menus and you should see an option for the auto headlights (unless I am remembering my old GTO which had this feature also).