back carpet wet rust spots underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwagtmustang

Reaction score
So I bought a 1998 Tahoe with 216k miles on it a few days ago. I took it through the car wash and I noticed water dripping in by the back doors. I got home and felt the carpet. The whole carpet is wet. The cargo tie downs have surface rust on them. Last night I pulled up some of the carpet and I see several spots that have surface rust and multiple spots where the paint is bubbling due to rust. I have ordered new seals from LMC. I also got some water and poured it on top of the Tahoe around the rear 3rd brake light. I did not see any water coming in around there. I removed the side panels inside and they were dry as can be. Besides the bed being wet under the carpet I noticed the passenger side back corner inside was wet where behind the weather strip seal inside the truck.

My plan is to remove the surface rust and the rust underneath the bubbling paint. Put down new paint to keep it from rusting again. Replace all the seals around the door opening on the frame. When I removed the side panels I saw no signs of rust. Here is my question. The carpet is not soaking wet like a sponge. When I removed the carpet it was wet. I wiped my hand across it and my hand was very wet. IF the water is leaking through the rear doors and it is not soaking wet like a sponge is it still possible for the whole carpet to be wet? It did not feel like one part was more wet than the other. I also plan to remove the cargo tie downs and put some rtv sealant on the threads just for good measure.

Besides the door seals where else could the water be coming from? I don't want to make the Tahoe perfect. I just want to clean up the rust and prevent further damage down the road.