Battery Dead, Now Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DHall15

Reaction score
I only drive my tahoe on the weekend due to high gas prices. I went to start it up tonight and click, click, nothing, dead battery. I think I left my rador detector on but, cannot be sure. First, I thought the Tahoes had a sensor if it felt the battery was being drained from a power source it cut it off???

After charging the battery all is well except my check engine light is on. How do I get it off, or is there another problem somewhere?

Thanks

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the truck? Not sure about pre 07s but the latest model does cut out after a short while. I guess a radar detector could've drained if it was several days. Anyway, if everything truly is fine now, I think the check engine light will go out by itself after a while. If it doesn't then you may have another problem that caused this, and will have track it down, maybe pull the code.

summer09

Reaction score
well, it must be some faulty wiring, better check the wirings and install it in place...

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry but that was so profound I just didn't get it, could you expand on that?

DHall15

Reaction score
It is a 07, I put a charge on it for about 40min, it started right up. I let it run for 15min, had onstar do a diag. test, they said the check engine light is on due to the fact that it didnt turn over when I first tried to start it. Drove it last night with probally around 3 starts, all of which seem to be ok. I would feel better about the whole thing except the engine light is still on. I thought it would go away after some driving but it didnt.

DHall15

Reaction score
Update: Drove it this morning after one stop check engine went off. Must of cleared itself out.

Only thing now is why did the battery go did, can anyone confirm in the 07's there is suppose to be a sensor to prevent the battery from being drained from a accessory pluged in to a power outlet?

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry my last post was directed at the problem solver above it, not you. Well it did clear out so you're probably okay. Yes I do believe things shut down after a short time of draw, but I'm actually not sure if that's also true for the accessory/cig ports. I'm gonna check that later so I know, but I'm thinking it might stay on and there's your reason. Even if the ports do go out with a draw it's possible that it might require a minimum draw level to trigger that safety feature, and that the draw from the radar detector is too low to trigger the shutoff. So basically like a small, "undetected leak" that ended up leaking it all out over the course of several days. You will probably go back to your regular routine without a problem, which would confirm my theory I guess.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And now that I think about it I seem to remember charging my cell phone with the key out, where the interior light shut off but the phone kept charging, I think.

Thundergod

Reaction score
The 12v lighter plugs continue to receive power. I know, as I've run down my battery a couple of times by leaving my little fridge plugged in.
I bought a 12v lighter plug adapter that cuts off power when it senses voltage going below some threshold. This feature is built into the lighter adaptor (it also expands it to 3 "holes")

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is one problem with some 07's and mine went dead because of it. The fuel pump relay switch stuck open and it drained my battery over a period of a couple of days when I didn't drive the truck. The dealership changed it out and I haven't had a problem since.

There was also a problem with the early 07's where the battery rundown protection wasn't installed for some reason. If you take it to the dealership they can run it in their computer and tell if yours needs the rundown update installed. There is a factory udate bulletin posted somewhere in here but I don't know exactly where. You could probably info it and find it.

momoney25

Reaction score
I've had the same problem. Listening to the radio for about 20 mins and battery dead and light on (eventually light went out). I'm thinking of changing batteries, but i will check to see if i need the update.

thanks for the post.

Thundergod

Reaction score
I have a question.

If the "Run-down Protection" is working properly, is the power removed from the cigarette lighter sockets?

I ask because, as I posted earlier, I've accidently left my mini 12v-fridge plugged in and turned on, and both times it ran my battery completely dead.
I know the life of my battery is ruined now.

I so want to add a second 12v deep-cycle battery w/an isolator, and re-wire my outlets to that circuit.