best towing setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crigby801

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 99 tahoe and I have a 20 foot boat that I lug to the lake occasionally, however the tahoe that I am looking at does not have a tow package. So my question is in these tahoes is there just one transmission that they put in all models or is there an upgraded model with a larger radiator and a different transmission? or did all of the tahoes have the same tranny in them?

I have looked for specs and I cant find anything on this subject. any help would be great. Thanks

Gatorbait

Reaction score
The tranny is the same. I think the tow package on a 99 came with a hitch and was already wired for the the trailer lights. Can't remember if the 99 I had came with a tranny cooler or not but I believe the radiator is the same. IMO the best thing you can add to your vehicle if you are going to tow is a tranny cooler. They are pretty easy to install and you can get an aftermarket one fairly cheap. Your tranny can heat up pretty fast when towing. I don't think the tow package on a 99 changed the suspension or shocks. A lot of people put Air Bags in the back to help level out the truck. I had them on mine and was extremely happy.