Black AEM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't wait around for the black chrome kit to drop so I pulled the tube today when I washed my filter. Three coats of hi-temp gloss black and it turned out pretty good, not expecting any gain from the paint but it looks 10x better than the shiny tube (the only polished thing left on the truck). Hit it with a few coats and biked down to the river behind REI to let the dog cool off. Grabbed some japanese and came home to a dry filter and another free mod
DSC01512.jpg

DSC01511.jpg

What it looked like the day after I got my truck
IMG00192.jpg

Huck

Reaction score
you gonna put emissions sticker back on?

jrneyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man--really good pics there--it looks great in black like that--awesome job...im savin my pennies for the same thing; i was going to go w/ k&n, but im just about sold on the aem

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man--really good pics there--it looks great in black like that--awesome job...im savin my pennies for the same thing; i was going to go w/ k&n, but im just about sold on the aem
You can wait for the black chrome to come out. I'm amazed at how clean the filter comes back each time, it's almost as white as when it was installed.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks better imo, i think it really cleans up the overall look under your hood.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smog testing.

I'm pretty sure he knows that. The point was that the emissions stickers are really only used in california, as mandated by CARB. Colorado couldn't care less what intake you run as long as your overall emissions pass. ;)

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have kept it and put it on a blower, I'm hoping I drive by enough mobile emissions vans once it's blown otherwise I'm screwed in two years and I'll have to take the kit off. My buddy got his clean bill of emissions health in the mail a few months ago and he's running big ass injectors with a 62-1 turbo kit on his 5.3 so I have faith.