Bowtie paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Piskin

Reaction score
Whats going on everybody I want to paint my bowtie white to match the truck but I got two problems....might not be problems but not sure what to do..... I have a chrome bowtie in there now and also it is permanently in there so I wouldnt be able to take it out to paint. Just wanted to see if there were any threads you could point me to or what process i should use.

Looking for ideas on which grit sandpapers to use and how many coats and process. Thanks everybody

notch8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took mine off, but I used 60 grit to cut through all of the crap, then goo gone, then soap and water.

I think I used something like 7 coats of Krylon Fusion plastic paint. and 6 coats of clear coat. I haven't sanded it yet but anything over a 1000 grit im told will do the job for a final sanding.

Piskin

Reaction score
Well the thing is my bowtie is in there for good so i will probably have to take the whole thing off to paint it. also it is a chrome emblem so i dont know if plastic paint will work. what do you think is the best grit paper to fully get the chrome coating off which is already mostly faded off

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it polished aluminum or just plain metal with chrome plating?

Piskin

Reaction score
well i bought it off ebay and a similar item looks like it is highly polished stainless steel but its all scratched and barely even shiny anymore......might be a billet as well not sure if there is a difference

Last edited:

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok then I'd go with 120 grit then work your way up to 400 grit then 600 grit and a couple of coats of primer sand the primer with the 600 grit to smooth it out then couple of coats paint I'd try to find a small heater to set in front of it to help bake it on then add some clear.

Piskin

Reaction score
so with the first sets of sandpaper im just trying to get rid of whatever chrome covering there is? and the 120 grit will do the job?

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much your gonna get it nice and sanded cuz weather its aluminum or not for the paint to stick to it its gotta be sanded good! But if thats what your going for to remove all the chrome then start with 80grit and then work up! I wouldn't go past 600 to fine and it won't stick either.

Piskin

Reaction score
thanks a lot this is gonna be my spring break project in 2 weeks so hopefully it works out and turns out nice. will keep u posted with how it comes out

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool Make sure you use a paint degreaser or metal prep of some kind before you prime or it'll fish eye on you if you can't find suitable paint degreaser or metal prep use the strongest percentage of rubbing alcohol you can get and use it!

Piskin

Reaction score
what do you mean by fish eye and when should i use this? sorry for being such a noob when it comes to paint im just learning

Last edited:

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically the primer or paint will look like fish's eyes it where the paint is repelled away from the surface because of being oily greasy. So you'll need to clean the suface your bout to prime and paint also your fingers will leave oil behind so once you clean it make sure not touch it again. Also clean it after you smooth out the primer just before you paint it then let it dry and then paint it!

Piskin

Reaction score
ya that looks nice but im looking for the clean paint look and not have to worry about the sticker peeling off thanks though

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious why it's on there permanently. I'm a noob myself but I've never heard of that.

Piskin

Reaction score
i kinda broke some clips when i was putting it in and the way i got it to finally stay makes it a little tough for it to come out haha noob mistake made a few years ago

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i kinda broke some clips when i was putting it in and the way i got it to finally stay makes it a little tough for it to come out haha noob mistake made a few years ago

Too bad. If you could score a plastic one you take it apart and paint the back side. That way it shows whatever color you paint but it won't chip and it has a factory look to it.

Piskin

Reaction score
well as i said i broke the back so if i take this chrome one out a plastic one wont be able to go back in unless i do something stupid like super glue to keep it in but if you knew anyone looking to get rid of one cheap id be more than happy to take it off their hands

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well as i said i broke the back so if i take this chrome one out a plastic one wont be able to go back in unless i do something stupid like super glue to keep it in but if you knew anyone looking to get rid of one cheap id be more than happy to take it off their hands

Understood. If you could scrape one up you could try silicone instead of Super Glue.

Piskin

Reaction score
anyone know if the plastic chrome piece that goes across the grill horizontally from fender to fender that actually holds the bowtie in can be painted as well?