brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know the difference between brakes on regular toehoe and a police package?would it be worth upgrading to police package for better stopping power?

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was thinking,like ebc rotors and pads and ss brake lines or brembo slotted rotors ss brakelines and hawk pads.anyone got a opionion?

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those will help... New rotors usually have more metal than old worn ones... and for pads, personally I had good experience w/ HAWK brake pads... semi metallic, not ceramic. As for SS brake lines... that's good too.. but mainly because that measn you're flushing out all the old brake fluid for new ones (hopefully DOT4 synthetic....right?). New brake fluid will definitely firm up your brake pedal, as well has tolerate more heat before losing pressure.

If I was in your position, looking to upgrade brakes, I'd also look into either an upgraded caliper... or a caliper spacer to use bigger rotor.

Anyway, you're on the right track... good luck!

Enem178

Reaction score
Hey Mross, I know im a year late but I was wondering what you ended up doing as far as upgrading your brakes?? I keep having problems with warping rotors. I have to do the brakes every 1 1/2 yrs!! Not because the pads are done but because the rotors warp!!

robco

Reaction score
2007 Tahoe LTZ 4WD front rotor problems

I am having same problems with mine. replaced rotors at 36k, 53K and now at 73K with heat cracks and warped rotors. Replaced all with premium raybestos rotors and GM pads at 53K but still having problems now.Thinking of upgrading to cross-drilled rotors.

Tewhite

Reaction score
My previous 2003 LS 4wd had impressive brakes with 13 " rotors, dual piston brakes in the rear and as big or bigger in the front. I never did wear out the brakes - front or rear at 100k miles. Even with towing a 2000 lb trailer frequently in local mountains. Only reason I changed pads and rotors was I gave vehicle to daughter & her family and figured I should before they take it..

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same here got the 13" in the back(Police Package) and cross drilled discs in front(Police Package for 98 tahoe) still not that different from a regular disc and 10" but well maybe while goin down a steep hill ;)

clkelley

Reaction score
IMHO, the best choice, like stated above is a hydroboost upgrade. I personally run R1Concepts premium cross drilled and slotted rotors with Posi Quiet ceramic pads and have put them through the ringer on my 03 Duramax hauling some ridiculously heavy loads. Before installing them I was changing rotors and pads every year, but this is currently their fourth year on the truck and still going strong with plenty of pad, no cracking anywhere.

A firm feel master cylinder from SSBC is also an option for upgrading the master cylinder to improve braking pressure while improving pedal feel as well.

If you anyone would like more information about improving the performance and longevity of their braking systems, send me a private message here or email me with your questions. I can help you find the most cost effective upgrades whether you are looking for basic upgrades on a budget or an all out big brake kit, including rear drum to disk conversion kits for those with drum brakes.

TCMERICK

Reaction score
I have a 98 Tahoe LS and the only brake parts that fit it are the ones for the police package. When I first bought the drums, rotors, Pads and shoes I bought all regular stuff. the differnce turned out to be that the rotors are the same, the drums are larger than typical stock and the pads and shoes were larger.
I would recommend taking off what you want to replace and take them to the parts store to find out what package you have. hope this helps