CAI for Maine; which is better? 03 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hendedo

Reaction score
Hello all.

As the title says our 03 Z71 will be a 12 month vehicle in Maine. Looking at a CAI, but wondering which gives better performance & mileage but not a problem in winter.

The video that K&N has for the 2007 model shows a air box but not for the 2003.

Thanks for any advice! Don.

clkelley

Reaction score
Which one is best is hard to say actually, there are a LOT of opinions out there but little actual verifiable comparison test results. I would personally choose one that has a sealed box style of intake system so that you get the advantage of the better flow, but not so much of an increase in actual intake air volume as to result in a reduction in performance. Many of the open box systems claim hp and torque increases but fail to mention that the increased flow will confuse the ECM because the MAF Sensor is sensing more flow than stock. This will cause hesitation in actual power at take off and in some cases when you hit the throttle at speed as a result of the delay in the ECM making adjustments to accommodate for the increased air flow. Running an intake on a gasser isn't the same as a diesel so to speak, on a gas engine to take full advantage of the increased air volume actually requires adjusting the tuning through the EFI to truly see the power and torque gains.

hendedo

Reaction score
The main reason I was looking at one was the inlet on the stock box is very small. I was hoping there was a good selection of complete boxes out there and not a "filter on a pipe" systems. With the colder weather, this was a concern leading to the posting here.
A slight increase in performance is good, but a possible increase in mpg is even better. The Z71 Tahoe we have is driven mildly and not beat on at all.
I saw a complete system from Volant and a few others so I can keep researching.

clkelley

Reaction score
There are several good choices for sealed box type intakes, if you like I can send you a quote on a discounted price of a few so you can not only have some good choices to make your choice from, but also have the advantage of receiving pricing and service provided by a forum sponsoring vendor.

Send me a private message with your Zip and I will send you a shipped quote for some options for you.

God Bless