Cam up grade Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doinfroggy

Reaction score
first off, i am new here, this is my first post. Glad to be here

i have a 96 gmc yukon 2 dr 4x4. i got it with a bad motor so i decidedto do a total rebuild. i have all brand new parts minus rods and a cam. my friend is a ASA certified mechanic and i turn wrenches my self so it is free labor.

i am trying to find the best cam upgrade i can go with. dont want to change computer, and i want a mild upgrade. what have you guys done/suggest and what is your opinions. thanks

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is an awesome question, and welcome to the forum.
Lots of people ask this question, and I dont see a bunch of answers..
someone will have a recommendation for you though, hang in there.
Click around on the sponsors while you wait.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cripes. Summit has loads of them. I guess it all depends what you want...

Comp Cams xtreme RPM maybe...

maybe start here?

doinfroggy

Reaction score
what i want is a cam that is better than factory, one that i do not have to change springs, rockers, valves, computer, basically a "plug-n-play" type deal. yes, more horsepower and torque are always a plus but i am not looking for a crazy amount of power. my yukon will be daily driven, partial hunting use, partial hauling cars, so low end torque is great. i know sumitt racing offers a bunch and only about 6 of them are computer compatiable. I am also trying to see who installed what cam in their vortec 350 and if they like it or not

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked the same question, and I got no response. It's ok GUYS! :) Alot of members here through experience are here for looks and maintence. I see performance wise thats its slim to none with basic bolt-ons or EXTREMES like a TT!

My advice is just to stay away from a cam b/c its your DD not a race car. Your motor needs rebuild right? I needed a head job so I was going to do the same route and opted not to do so b/c its my DD. I got a nice set of Port n Polished Heads for $550 shipped to my door along with Helix TB Spacer (hopefully by Summer I will have the TB worked al well.) Now 500 is cheap or exspensive...its all in the person who pays the bills. I see as if I will get my money back at the tank. In a cam you will not. Your just raising the idle for more HPS. It's possible to do that without a cam.

PLEASE DO CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG! I own a Turboed Eclipse that i've push passed DD duties that why I picked up my truckk. I'm still trying to learn.

Either way GL and don't hesitate to be the FIRST!

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, until someone chimes in about the cam options, tell us about the heads you got.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check jegs.com the comp cams xfi rollers are direct replacement. they show 3 for a 5.7 chevy. all with different power ranges.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jegs also has a crane that sounds even more like what u r looking for, its hyd roller direct replacement, no need to put different springs and or lifters. 109815 - Crane Cams PowerMax Hydraulic Roller Cams

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that with whatever cam, you will need to update your PCM. I would suggest calling the cam companies for your 99, telling them what you would like out of one and take it from there.

I personally went with a Comp Cam 206/212 and it works fine for me with my 04 Tahoe (yes different than a 99). I chose this one as it is good for a DD, provides power across the band, and it won't have any problems when the Radix is installed.

Last edited:

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had feeeewwwww ice teas.....

YOUR AN 04 WTF does an 04 HABE to do with 99? I know gm, ford and all those american companies are down the shiiter. BUT DO U REALLY THINK THAT THEY MADE NO TECHNICAL ADCVANCEMENTS since 99?

but either way thanks for your input...this is good in your section of the forums...i can't afford a new HOE i'll settle for gransndma...wine get better with old age,,, WOMEN AND CARS DO THE SAME...WOOOTTT

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've had feeeewwwww ice teas.....

YOUR AN 04 WTF does an 04 HABE to do with 99? I know gm, ford and all those american companies are down the shiiter. BUT DO U REALLY THINK THAT THEY MADE NO TECHNICAL ADCVANCEMENTS since 99?

but either way thanks for your input...this is good in your section of the forums...i can't afford a new HOE i'll settle for gransndma...wine get better with old age,,, WOMEN AND CARS DO THE SAME...WOOOTTT

Do you really think I believe a cam in an 04 would be the same as a cam in a 99?

Yes I know I am just a girl but I am not that foolish.:nonod:

BBCCARGUY

Reaction score
Hello all new to the forum but have some experience now on the cam question do you have the ability to check and measure what lift your current cam has now? That would be a good starting point to base your build off of and second you will most likely have to have your factory computer componants reburnt (depending on cam size) because of the extra fuel the computer will find in the exhaust from the overlap (also depending on size of cam) what do you plan on doing with the tahoe pulling, playing, bigger tires or just more ponies? If you go big enough for the reburn of chip then port the heads and do at least triple angle valve job. I know in the day that if you chose a cam with around 224 @ .050 duration you start to loose vaccuum for the power options to the vehicle with todays cams and rollers you have more options.

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forever falcon where'd you get those heads from?

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you want to have to reprogram your computer or not? Comp Cams makes a whole line of computer controlled EFI cams for 5.7s. I can't find the specs right now, but they have one that's very close to the factory cam in our trucks with a little more lift. I'll look for it later and post it.
Also, look at EQ Cylinder head. They make an iron vortec replacement head that flows better than stock heads and has thicker, stiffer decks. I've used a couple of pairs on marine engines. They're real nice and they're cheap.

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I found the cam specs for an L31 from 97-2000.
Intake duration a@ .050- 191
Exhaust duration @ .050-196
Intake lift- 414
Exhaust lift- 442
Lobe separation-111