Car shutting off after 2 weeks away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mohspeed

Reaction score
I was out of town for 2 weeks on business and left my car in the airport parking garage. When I walked towards my car and started it remotely I noticed a loud rumbling sound. It ran for about 30 seconds, sputtered, then just shut off the engine. I then checked under the car to see if somehow someone manage to steal my catylitic converter as I've heard stories of some friends getting theirs stolen from their SUV but it seemed to be all there. I then started it up again and it was still clunking but not as made. I reved up and drove back to the office. After I came back out to drive home it did the same thing again but this time the check engine light came on. I then called and told Onstar to run the diagnostic and see if they saw any fail codes. He then told me that there was a code showing regarding emissions. The next day the light went off and then I took it up to the dealer to have then take a look. The mechanic hooked up his diagnostic tester and performed a check. He told me that whatever error I had seemed to clear itself and there wasn't a history of what the problem was. Ever since then my car seems to be running just fine. I'm just puzzled one what could be causing the problem. Any suggestions?

ZX1100F1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stalling could be caused by fuel injection line pressure bleed-off from sitting, the fuel pump will repressureise the system just before ignition but sometimes a bubble can form in the rail which can result in the engine stalling.

The noisy engine could be from the oil film draining from the top end of the engine, also from sitting for prolong periods of time.

Letting a vehicle sit for 2 weeks is a long time and may take a little bit of driving before everything is back to normal, the computer also have some adaptative features that may be cleared following long periods of non operation.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking one of the sensors (O2 or other) somehow got a bad read from sitting so long, as residual from the last run or something, though that still shouldn't be normal. Weird.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please disregard my theory, as a better answer was posting as I typed.

mohspeed

Reaction score
Thanks for yall's response...I'll give it a few more days and see if the problem reappears.

Thundergod

Reaction score
Two weeks a long time!? Hardly. Hell, I've deployed to the desert for 3 months, come back and my truck started right up. But, that was my '88 Toyota. Are you telling me vehicles now a days can't go longer than 2 weeks w/out f#cking up?! Unacceptable.

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two weeks a long time!? Hardly. Hell, I've deployed to the desert for 3 months, come back and my truck started right up. But, that was my '88 Toyota. Are you telling me vehicles now a days can't go longer than 2 weeks w/out f#cking up?! Unacceptable.

Yeah 2 weeks is nothing. I mean come on, it's not like you're trying to start up your '65 Mustang that you've been working on and haven't touched it for 2 weeks. If you took it to the dealer and all they did was a diagnostic check then they're idiots because they should check wiring such as harnesses. Seems like a sensor problem to me.