Cat back Exhaust or CAI ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the next few weeks im deciding between installing a cat back exhaust and a CAI. I will eventually do both but would like to start with one project for next month. I am going to get a Flowmaster exhaust, between either a 50 series SUV or a 40 series i dont know yet. And the two CAI i am looking at are the AEM brute force and the Volant, both are designed very well, same price range, quality, and better than any other CAI systems on the market right now. Give me an idea on which project i should start with (im leaning towards exhaust) and which one to get. -thanks.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the AEM Brute force intake on my tahoe. Can't really say what the gain was since i put it on the same time as the 6" lift and 35's. only thing im not completely pleased with is it didn't replace all the intake. the "vortec" muffler or whatever it is is still there. (even though the engine is sort of ugly without it)

40 series is going to be loud, hopefully you don't want to make road trips with it.

i plan on running the 50's when i get around to putting my gibson headers on and have some extra cash. (true duals of course)

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, the main reason why the AEM CAI is better than the K and N and some of the other CAI is because of their design. Keeping the stock plenum and resonance chamber for the AEM is a much better design, safer, performs better and like you said looks better. Based on other CAI one of the main problems seen in their design is the attatchment and in some cases can come slighlty loose and then your sucking dirt into your engine. Another advantage is that the design makes it a little quiter (although if im changing my exhaust im not listening to my intake). And with the exhaust i would like to get a loud/deep sound, but i agree that the 40 series is a little too loud. In the end i will probably go with the 50 series which has a really nice tone. By the way tell me how the Gibson headers go in the future because those look really nice, the only thing keeping me away from them is the install.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
install shouldn't be bad at all other than my truck is lifted. haha. cold weather is keeping me from doing them for a while still.

my AEM isn't really THAT loud. you can hear it but its not something i notice unless im listening for it.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the next few weeks im deciding between installing a cat back exhaust and a CAI. I will eventually do both but would like to start with one project for next month. I am going to get a Flowmaster exhaust, between either a 50 series SUV or a 40 series i dont know yet. And the two CAI i am looking at are the AEM brute force and the Volant, both are designed very well, same price range, quality, and better than any other CAI systems on the market right now. Give me an idea on which project i should start with (im leaning towards exhaust) and which one to get. -thanks.

I would go with the exhaust first. The stock intakes are not that restrictive, and are technically a CAI. You will see better gains with the exhaust than with the intake. Of course, you will see the best gains after both are upgraded. But the exhaust will make more of a difference if you are just upgrading one of them for now.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that was what i was leaning towards. Like you guys said i will benefit from an exhaust more, plus it will be more noticable and fun to have. Now I just need to order and exhaust (probably 50 series) and wait for a warm weekend so i dont freeze my fingers off.