Catalytic Converter Situation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so the day I got the truck, I was driving home and the Check Engine Light came on... This made me feel like crap, so my Dad took the truck to work and threw it on the scanner(he's a mechanic) and though he forgot the exact code he said it was the cats going bad. So I do not know for sure if the cats or the O2's are bad but IF I had to replace the system I priced it when I was at work. It came out to be $560 for the cats. But tonight when I was looking on Summit, I found this... http://store.summitracing.com/partd...840140+4294923429+4294838974+115&autoview=sku

Would I be better off buying an authentic GM product or aftermarket. The "Authentic" one is over $200 more. I will know more tomorrow because I am going to take it to work and have a tech throw it on the scanner so I know the exact code and I can properly diagnose the problem, but if I have to replace the system, what would you guys do? Thanks alot.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Most muffler shop can install just the convertor and you will not have to worry about paying for the y pipe and extension pipes, umless they are rotted out.

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that magnaflow setup is nice but that price is not i got mine from a seller on ebay for like 230 shipped he has a best offer button i put 200 he came bak with that i acepted save urself 100 bucks man check ebay

Black Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think just swapping out the cats would work, even if the pipes are fine. The aftermarket cats will most likely be smaller than OEM and then they wouldnt match up. But you guys definitely don't think I should buy from GM, right?

HaKs310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should be fine. The Direct Fit line of Magnaflows Cats are made to OE specifications so they should go right in. you're planning on doing the Cats and the Y-Pipe or just the Cats?

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At around 380,000 kilometres, my cats started throwing codes. I went to an auto wrecker and bought some low kilometre cats and pipe ($120), work fine till I totalled her last year.

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has 223,000 miles. It threw the cat codes. The dealer cats were over 700 dollars. Magnaflows are junk.

I ended up with a Walker assembly. Got it for 360 with gaskets. That was a price your dad should be able to get as well, being that he's a mechanic.

Black Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has 223,000 miles. It threw the cat codes. The dealer cats were over 700 dollars. Magnaflows are junk.

I ended up with a Walker assembly. Got it for 360 with gaskets. That was a price your dad should be able to get as well, being that he's a mechanic.

I work at Chevy and the best deal I can get is 560. my dad won't be able to beat that price I don't think because he doesn't work at a dealership, he works for the gas company in the city. Unless he can get a deal at NAPA.

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude ive spoken to a few people who have that specific magnaflow set up and have had only good things to say about save urself some money on a solid upgrade and grab the 23453 setup from magnaflow ........

Black Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude ive spoken to a few people who have that specific magnaflow set up and have had only good things to say about save urself some money on a solid upgrade and grab the 23453 setup from magnaflow ........

thanks for the input I think that's what I'm gonna end up doing.

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm only trying to save you guys some heartache down the road. The magnaflows are cheap because they're smaller and do not have the required amounts of precious metals for long term duty. The light will go out, but for how long?
The Walker part still has smaller cats, but the materials are top notch. This is one area that if you're keeping the truck, you'll want to buck up a little extra. I know I won't get another 200,000 with the Walkers, but I'm gettin' a new truck next year.

96 ho

Reaction score
Why not gut the cats and wire in a resistor or something to keep the check engine light from coming on?

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There used to be simulators available for the rear O2 sensors, but I haven't seen them in a while. I believe Accel made them.