Change Engine Oil Message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1star2

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Denali and I am getting a message that comes on that says "Change Engine Oil". Is this just a warning that comes on every 3,000 miles that I can reset or is there something else wrong. It hasn't been 3,000 since my last oil change. The message usually comes on right after I start the truck, then it goes away. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

scott99zx6r

Reaction score
Turn the key to run and press the gas pedal to the floor 3 times should reset or if you have the drivers info center reset it in that.

1star2

Reaction score
Oh so this is just a reminder then. Thanks. I will try to reset tomorrow!

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I recall it seems like it's based on RPM's and engine hours and maybe some other things, I don't remember. It's not just a 3K mile timer though, depending on how you drive and how much you drive it could come on sooner or later. I run Royal Purple in mine which has a longer change interval, there's no way the computer can tell what type of oil I'm runnin' so the light comes on and I just re-set it.