Change Oil light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my oil today for the first time. Finally! Well, I can't figure out how to reset the "Change Oil" light on the Message Center. I looked in the manual, but it doesn't really say anything about it. Unless I'm an idiot, which is definitely a possibility.

I have an '02 LT. Any help would be greatly appreciated! It's been on the whole time I've had it, but I've never really worried about it since I've been planning on changing the oil. Now it's just annoying.

Thanks!

McLoki

Reaction score
Turn the ignition set to on without starting the engine. Press the gas pedal three times in quick succession and watch for battery light to flash three times, when it does, it is reset.

(BTW - I googled it, here was where I stole the answer from)

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I never thought of googling it. But, won't that flood the engine? Or is it not enough gas there to do that?

McLoki

Reaction score
The key is supposed to be in the run position (but not with the engine on) when you floor it 3 times in quick sucession (in less than 5 seconds).

Your eninge should be fine.

Michael

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drive by wire, no flooding

edit:yours is an 02 so i dont know if you have drive by wire or not...
am i the only one who read the damn owners manual!?!

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's official...I'm a moron.

Okay, I just reread the manual...Page 6-20 "How to reset the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message." No idea how I missed that. One of the first things I do when I get a new car is read the manual from cover to cover. Same thing when friends get new cars. I read their manuals, too.

Oh, well. Thanks for the help!

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no worries about flooding, mine is a '00 and it resets the same way.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
drive by wire, no flooding

edit:yours is an 02 so i dont know if you have drive by wire or not...

A lot of 00-02 models have ETC, just not all of them. Even on models with an actual cable, you don't have to worry about flooding because the injectors don't operate unless the engine is running.