Cheap gauge make-over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Overkill

Reaction score
Gang,
Last weekend I installed white gauge faces and a stainless steel gauge bezel/overlay for cheap (relatively speaking). Pix with and without flash, no lights on in the dash:

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

The SS bezel is by NuImage. Stylin gets $160 for it, but I found it for $60 at SuperTruck Essentials. Couldn't believe it when I saw the price. I was expecting to receive the black overlay with the polished rings around the gauges, but as you can tell from the pic I received the fully polished version. At first I didn't think I would like it as much, especially with white gauge faces, but it's grown on me.

On a side note, I had called NuImage to see if they shipped me the wrong one by accident (I bought it from SuperTrucks but it was drop-shipped from NuImage). They said no, that that is the current design, and that the picture on SuperTrucks' website was old. I laughed and told him that NuImage has the same exact outdated picture on their own website (I was looking at it when I called :ktoe:)

So, I saved $100 on that. :thumbsup:

The white gauge overlays... I took a chance on these ones. I actually found them on eBay first and bought through there. I had read some feedback about these being "stickers" and was wary of them, but they had very positive feedback, and for $25 with no tax and no shipping, I thought it was worth a try.

The best I can describe them is like printing on window tint. The numbers, lines, etc are masked so there is no printing over them, and the gauge lights shine through them. From a distance (even sitting in the driver seat) the printing looks fine. But up close they appear to have been printed on an inkjet with somewhat modest resolution. I expected more crisp printing but like I said, unless you're up close, it's not noticeable. And I wish they would have used clear film as the base, but they used a grey film, which dims the lighting just a bit, but not too much.

Installation was a bit of a challenge. They install similar to window tint--apply soap water, place them, and squeegee out. No need to buy their "kit" as you can use your own soap water, a sponge, and a modestly flexible card. A credit card might be too rigid, so I used a frequent buyer card from some store that was a little more flexible. Unlike window tint, however, these didn't like to slide around on the surface, so it was not easy to position them. Also, you cannot see the markings underneath, so it's difficult to get them lined up correctly. If you could plug the cluster back into the dash and turn the lights on, it would definitely help line up the markings but it would be harder to work in there with the steering wheel etc. On the plus side, there's no need to remove the needles, as you can slip them through the holes in the overlays.

It turned out pretty good, but some of the markings are mis-aligned just enough that when I have the lights on at night, the markings appear to have a shadow. It's almost a cool effect. The ones most mis-aligned are the gear indicators--the light is something of a sliver, but it *is* visible and still functional.

The only ding against the SS overlay is if the sun is behind you at the right angle, you need welding goggles to avoid being blinded :wink:

Overall, though, I'm pleased. I don't like the colored gauge overlays offered by NuImage and US Speedo for the OBS trucks--they don't offer the cool designs, fonts, etc that they do for the NBS trucks. So the $25 white overlays are a decent compromise. Overall I saved a lotta coin on this and got a decent upgrade.

_dennis

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it looks good!! i got the white face one and it brightens up the dash.

i did notice that my mph is off . it's reading 35 but i'm moving at 32 mph.

but it's still worth the improvement

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like em im actually looking at the silver overlays and a black with crome ring face cover

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i gotta get some white gauges, it looks nice....

Dr. Overkill

Reaction score
i like em im actually looking at the silver overlays and a black with crome ring face cover

If this is what you're looking for,

BR101.jpg

good luck. That's what I wanted but NuImage changed the design to the solid polished face that I have. They haven't updated the pic on their own website yet, let alone sites for their distributors.

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i found it on ebay actually

If this is what you're looking for,

BR101.jpg

good luck. That's what I wanted but NuImage changed the design to the solid polished face that I have. They haven't updated the pic on their own website yet, let alone sites for their distributors.

Dr. Overkill

Reaction score
Finally getting around to posting some pix with the dash lights on. The pix don't really do it justice. They have a cool glow. Nevertheless, next up will be some bright LEDs in the instrument cluster.

With a flash:
IMG_4312.jpg

Without the flash:
IMG_4313.jpg

Closer view:
IMG_4314.jpg