Check Engine Light ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I hopped in the car, everything was fine for ten mins or so and then the check engine light came on. Truck didn't drive any different, all gauges were reading fine. I went to advanced auto parts to have them do a quick scan and they said that my OBDII wasn't reading. Not sure what he meant or how to fix this? Does anyone have any ideas.

The check engine light has never been on, but last week I had a flowmaster 50 series welded in. Is there a possibility that this somehow threw a code?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Most of the time if a scanner can not retrieve codes from the ALDL, it most likely is a blown fuse. IIRC, it is also the same fuse as the cigarette lighter.

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that sounds right, I know the cig lighter hasn't worked since I bought the truck. But that wouldn't throw a code would it? Especially if it is the same fuse and has been blown for the past couple months. Any reason a different muffler would cause it to throw a code or could just be coincidence.

wilb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may not be electrical. Have you tried a different fuel lately? 10% ethanol and certain gasolines cause mine to come on. So I use gas w/o ethanol which typically allows the engine to run w/o the "check engine" light coming on.

41racing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the blown fuse for the cigar lighter and have the thing scanned again. That fuse supplies power for the scanner to communicate with the pcm. Make sure there isn't anything laying down in the cigar lighter shorting it out.

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may not be electrical. Have you tried a different fuel lately? 10% ethanol and certain gasolines cause mine to come on. So I use gas w/o ethanol which typically allows the engine to run w/o the "check engine" light coming on.

Nope same fuel here. Ethanol is in all the fuel here sucks don't it.

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my onstar diagnostic report I got this

Emissions System
Diagnostic Status: Complete. There may be an issue requiring action. Push your blue OnStar button and request a GM Goodwrench Remote Diagnostic.

Could be related to the muffler just installed? or coincidence? Thoughts?

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably a bad O2 sensor, but that should be throwing a code to the diagnostic scanner. disconnect your battery's negative cable (the black one). leave it unhooked for 1 hour. plug it back in and voila, your check engine light is gone.

if it doesn't turn off then it's probably something to do with the wiring, if it does but comes back on then it could be anything but really nothing to worry about if it gets from a to b and doesn't make phucked up noises

Jsho13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be the fuse called? I can't find anything specific in the owners manual and can't seem to find it on the chart inside the fuse door.

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its under the hood in the fuse box it is a 15amp cig lighter fuse read the inside of the fusebox lid.

bigham

Reaction score
its under the hood in the fuse box it is a 15amp cig lighter fuse read the inside of the fusebox lid.

Hes right:yesnod: I had this issue a month ago, same fuse and everything bottom right My far right Cigarette lighter would short out the other 2 were fine, separate fuse, I had a bad fuel filter and my 1st left bank O2 sensor was showing lean,
I had spent money on a scanner and it didn't work once I replaced the fuse so I could read the code, I looked at why it was running lean and My fuel sensor was Black as coffee not good. after 1 day after replacing the filter the O2 sensor was reading correctly and cleared the light.
Not saying this is exactally wrong with yours but I spent along time chasing down the source of not being able to read the code.

Splash780

Reaction score
Cigarette Lighter Fuse

I cannot find what the cigarette lighter fuse code is in my 03 GMC Yukon. My engine light came on and I went to AutoZone and they could not check what the problem was because they think that my cig lighter fuse was blown.

0352Marine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot find what the cigarette lighter fuse code is in my 03 GMC Yukon. My engine light came on and I went to AutoZone and they could not check what the problem was because they think that my cig lighter fuse was blown.

It's under the hood in the fuse box on the driverside. It's 15 amp fuse if your still having trouble just start pulling 15 amp fuses until you find the one that is blown.

kcs321

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm having the same problem. 02 Tahoe My check engine light has been on for a while. I was told that it was a O2 censor. I brought it in to run the codes at autozone and o-rilley's and they cannot read anything. I have checked all of the fuses and everything is good. I have no problems with the vehicle except for the abs light coming on every now and then. I need to get it inspected and was told it would not pass with this not working. Any help is appreciated, thanks.