chips on the windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to find estimates or rought figures on how much it cost to repair a chiped/cracked windshield but I really cant find anything. Has anyone ever had their windshield repaired and how muchy for the tabachi? (how much?) thanks in advance for the info.

rockman20

Reaction score
I have full coverage on my Yukon and my insurance will cover rock chip repairs for free. I think that in their eyes they would rather cough up a little dough to repair the chips then to let the windshield crack and have to be replaced.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the malls around here have those rock chip repare booths. If your insurance covers it, its free. DOnt know how reliable they are though. And if the chip or crack is too big, some places say they cant repare it. I think if its as wide as a dollar bill or something like that then they cant repair it. Thats what happened to mine and I had to get a whole new windshield

Custom73

Reaction score
I do glass repair/replacement in SD. Go to a bodyshop or a certified auto glass shop. Those mobile "fly by night" setups are not a good idea. I've heard horror stories from poor workmanship to doing a repair and charging ins. co. for a replacement.

Most chip repairs are $50 for the first and $10 for each additional chip. Cracks can be repaired if not in the drivers line of sight. When a crack is repaired it's still very visible but less likely to spread.

Check with your car ins, most will pay for all rock chips. Replacement falls under comprehensive claims - your deductible could range from $0 to $500. Most often the $200-$250 for a windshield is below the deductible amount so most people pay cash for it.

If you have several chips and the glass has lots of pitting - save your money for a new one - you'll thank me later...

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid about $30 outright to have a chip done on Big Red and it was still distracting.

On the other hand, when I bought my Tahoe it had a broken windshield and it cost $130 to replace it.

Greb