Clear coat peeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tyler_leatherman

Reaction score
Recently bought a Blue '99 2-door tahoe. I noticed the clear is peeling in a couple places...

I know you're supposed to reclear the whole hood/fender etc. but truthfully I'm a broke-ass whose looking for a temporary fix, haha.

I want to wet-sand, buff and polish the whole thing too because it has some scratches and looks like someone tried to buff it with 80 grit sandpaper on one side, lol... lots of tiny dents and dings, some bigger than others are also on there.

Does that paintless dent removal business work?

Anyways... I was hoping there might be some form of Clear-In-A-Can out there that I could buy.... something I could just obscenely layer on after roughing up the peeling area... Anyone heard of such?

Kevs98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah paintless dent works if the guy doing it is good, some doush bag jammed his knee into my door one time and paintless dent guy got it out for me, I can kind of see it but I think its because I know it was there before.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are good but they can't get out all dents.

metal stretches with every dent, so to completely get the dent out it takes a hell of alot of skill. (like kev was saying got to get someone who knows what they are doing) 9 times out of 10 they won't be able to completely get out deep dents, the metal will have stretched to much.

from what i've heard its not cheap to have them work on your vehicle either.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
umm yes the dent thing works, costed me 40 bucks for my whole car ( my capri not truck), but about the clear coat thing. Um, well its gunna lok like **** if you spray clear right over it. most likly wont adhere right. Better off sanding the bitch down buy a quart or however much u need and buying single stage paint. for those that dont know what single stage is, its clear and paint in the same can... but take it to a body shop and have em spray it for you. maybe cost like 100 bucks if that.. if u brought it to me, id charge you like 50. but then youd have to pay for materials, so another 20.. 70 bucks.. Im in Ohio by the way. haha. dont even bother tho clearing it. youll see all edge marks and everything.. no just no..

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not for the whole car you crazy, he said hood fender ect.. that being said i jsut thought it was the front clip. or something..