Clicking Noise from underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHEVYMANE

Reaction score
Got a 99 Hoe with 89K on it in pretty good condition. Lately I've been hearing this clicking noise around the transfer case/front driveshaft area. Listen with a screwdriver & you can feel something inside the t-case hitting. I'll hear it one day, then not for awhile. The u-joints don't look/feel loose. Drained & replaced the t-case fluid. You only hear it while driving. 2wheel or 4wheel. Almost a tin sound like a heat shield hitting the driveshaft but all is cool. Please tell me i'm not looking at buying a reman case for $600. I'm running LT285/75/R16 Mastercraft Courser C/T's on it. Heard once before that bigger tires can be brutal on the driveline. Need some input/experience.

Sinjin

Reaction score
I have the same problem.

Got a 99 Hoe with 89K on it in pretty good condition. Lately I've been hearing this clicking noise around the transfer case/front driveshaft area. Listen with a screwdriver & you can feel something inside the t-case hitting. I'll hear it one day, then not for awhile. The u-joints don't look/feel loose. Drained & replaced the t-case fluid. You only hear it while driving. 2wheel or 4wheel. Almost a tin sound like a heat shield hitting the driveshaft but all is cool. Please tell me i'm not looking at buying a reman case for $600. I'm running LT285/75/R16 Mastercraft Courser C/T's on it. Heard once before that bigger tires can be brutal on the driveline. Need some input/experience.

Been checking out other forums without any luck. I know that other folks have this problem cause I've seen other Tahoes drive by and have heard the same noise coming from them. If you get any more information on this please post it and I'll do like wise.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you just hear it when slowing down? mine does that - and most likely its the front u-joints going/gone out - could even be the CVs going/gone out

Sinjin

Reaction score
Do you just hear it when slowing down? mine does that - and most likely its the front u-joints going/gone out - could even be the CVs going/gone out

It does it all the time when moving. I've already replaced the u-joints and the CV Axles. Figured those would be the obviose choices. Guess not. I was going to look at the hub bearings next. If that doesn't fix it. Then I have to start looking at the drive line and that could get expensive. Thanks for the suggestions.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, um, maybe you can do this, jack the front of the truck up, and spin the front tires.. see if you can hear the same sound.. - may be something simple.. may be bearings

DOOZ

Reaction score
Have you checked the rear axle bearings? jack up the rear (both wheels) put it in neutral and spin the wheels forward and back ( get them spinning pretty good) and listen for a click or noisey hum. These usually show under a load (accel. or decel.). Could also slide it into neutral while cruising and see if the noise continues this takes some but not all of the load off the wheels. its worth a shot.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jack the rear up then put jacks under rear axle put wheel chucks on front wheels

start it put it in drive and listen for the sound with a broom stick or a auto stescope
on different spots. good luck