Completely removing tailgate bowtie question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine tonight on the front and rear and if you get the back off you will have 2 holes and a 50cent size ring where they molded the tear piece. It will take bondo and primer to make it look clean. Just get the rear cover from the Yukon. I can send you Picts now via email my rear is still off while its drying good.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you take the trim off the car?

I would be curious to see how/where all the clips are for the tailgate panel, etc.

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did, the front is held on by 2 10mm nuts and a square piece of 3m tape. the rear i just heated up with a hair dryer and stuck a plastic scraper in the top dead center and it just pealed back, it hard but it comes right off. i was thinking about just filling the holes but the big circle ring would take a lot of body work and sanding. on the rear i taped off the chrome sorrounding the gold with painters tape and just sprayed the gold to gloss black. i thought by having the chrome edge would make it look more professional. i bought 1500 grit sand paper and wet sanded the gold to make the paint stick a lot better. all in all it took me about an hour to do both. the hard part is removing all the extra black 3m tape left on the car. i removed all the rear emblems and flex fuel badged while the paint was drying. I used the gloss black krylon paint, and its shinny. If i was going to do anything different i would have sprayed a coat of clear over when finnished but in was too inpatient.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant removing the trim piece on the hatch. I assume you are doing all the prep work with the piece ON the truck.

I know i have to remove all the interior pieces from the hatch to get this trim piece off, just wasnt sure if someone had knowledge of the best way to do so (dont want to break any clips)...

I may just head down to my local body shop and ask if they can pop it off for me (i am terrible at pulling interior panels, always screw something up)

Hoping to hear back from the guy about the part today.

If you get a chance, post some pics with NO badges on the rear. I took all off except the TAHOE, as it has been growing on me, but always would like to see cars without.

georgiawj

Reaction score
Smoothfrc who are you talking to about that piece i have been trying to find the Yukon version too. Do ya mind giving out your secret PLEASE :D

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can actually get the part off of GM Parts direct or any gm parts distributor (part number 15838850 i believe). they list a with and without camera option, that part number is for WITH.

This part doesnt come painted though, that is where my "contact" comes in... Assuming all is what he says it is, i will post his information as well as try to find out what other parts he may have for us :)

georgiawj

Reaction score
Yep haha I looked into that too and i looked on eBay, but i could only find chrome stick on ones or non-painted ones from the dealer.. I hope the "mystery source" comes through.. :lol:

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoping to call the guy back tomorrow, he was supposed to e-mail me the pictures by now, but i understand if he got busy.

Hopefully will have an update by tuesday.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2361844_16_full.jpg

freyguy

Reaction score
I don't have any pics of mine, but I had the factory one shaved. My wife hit a piece of metal in the road that scratched up the door, so I took off the whole piece and had them shave/paint it for me at the same time the door was fixed. It was a buddy of mine's shop, so he didn't charge me any extra.

Key thing is to not use bondo if shaving it. Bondo will expand differently than the plastic, so the best thing to do is to melt some spare plastic and let it drip into the holes. Then sand down to smooth, and paint.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, The guy HAS EM!!!! pre painted from the factory! Apparently these are runoff parts or something from the factory for the Yukons.

They have the white, silver and black in stock. They have one listed as teal, but not sure what color that really is.

I am going to call tomorrow and order one, and will post up his information after i secure mine :)

Last edited:

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, mine is on the way! :)

The guy's name is Phil and works for star auto parts. Phone number is 800 362-9451 x 6761.

He referenced the part as and 07+ Yukon LGM (lift gate moulding), Plain X color. Said he has to look it up when anyone calls.

He also mentioned that they do get a variety of parts for these trucks, but they can vary depending on what extra's they have. So they may have painted handles, mirror parts, etc.

I will post a write up whenever i get to installing it (have a newborn at home, so my play time has decreased) :)

John

Last edited:

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something happened with the shipping, Called last week and they re-sent it to me. Wife just called and said it is here :)

Will unpack it tonight and will try to get some pics up. Probabily wont be getting to the installation until friday (if i am lucky)

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i am a little disappointed. I was led to believe these were in excellent condition, but this piece has some scuff marks on it.... the part is an open box item (not in a box), so i assume that is why.

It appears i should be able to just have my local body shop buff this out and i should be able to bolt it right on.

Not 100% thrilled about it....., but still better then buying the unpainted piece for $75 and having to deal with paint, clear, etc.

Will see how it all works out in the end.