Completely removing tailgate bowtie question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the process of completely removing my tailgate bowtie using a 'credit card' and gently pryed it away and it appears there are two little plastic tabs that will result in two holes in the tailgate if the bowtie is completely removed. Any thoughts??

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two holes left in the sheet metal if you completely remove it. :ack:

CaMs

Reaction score
can you guy post some pics of the holes?

Im guesssing the front has the same thing?
I think the front would look 10x better with just a straight line and no bowtie

I guess we can always bondo the 2 holes or cover it with something

hphansen

Reaction score
If you want that clean smooth look, then you can purchase the Yukon version of that piece. It has no holes or decals on it. I think that they are about $65 but you have to have it painted.

CaMs

Reaction score
Hmm, so you mean get a yukon grill? What piece do you mean?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so you mean get a yukon grill? What piece do you mean?

He's talking about the bezel surrounding the rear license plate. There's two holes after you remove the chrome portion of the bowtie.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I thought...I am going to replace the entire thing with a billet bowtie...

On the rear, if you just remove the plastic gold bowtie, you are left with basically a chrome bowtie unlike the front which has three holes exposed when you remove the gold portion. If you remove the chrome portion on the rear, then there are two holes. I read on another forum where it is difficult to remove the rear chrome portion as you have to remove the wiper motor. :ack:

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove wiper motor!?!?!?

On the rear, if you just remove the plastic gold bowtie, you are left with basically a chrome bowtie unlike the front which has three holes exposed when you remove the gold portion. If you remove the chrome portion on the rear, then there are two holes. I read on another forum where it is difficult to remove the rear chrome portion as you have to remove the wiper motor. :ack:

Why would you have to remove anything?? I almost had the entire rear bowtie (chrome and gold) off when I peaked and saw the two plastic pegs sticking out...you don't have to remove anything to remove the rear hatch bowtie....just use a credit card like object to work between bowtie and body until their is not enough tacky glue to hold it on...then clean the area and slap on a new polished billet bowtie...simple.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you have to remove anything?? I almost had the entire rear bowtie (chrome and gold) off when I peaked and saw the two plastic pegs sticking out...you don't have to remove anything to remove the rear hatch bowtie....just use a credit card like object to work between bowtie and body until their is not enough tacky glue to hold it on...then clean the area and slap on a new polished billet bowtie...simple.

You just removed the plastic gold portion then. As I said previously, if you remove the chrome portion also, you'll have two holes.

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't removed anything yet...

You just removed the plastic gold portion then. As I said previously, if you remove the chrome portion also, you'll have two holes.

But I am going to remove both the silver and gold and replace them with a polished billet aluminum bowtie...and you don't have to remove the wiper motor to do this as you stated in one of your above posts...

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I am going to remove both the silver and gold and replace them with a polished billet aluminum bowtie...and you don't have to remove the wiper motor to do this as you stated in one of your above posts...

Haven't done it personally but like I said, read it on another forum. If you can do it w/o removing wiper motor, that's great. :thumbsup:

Let us know how it works out.

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you have looked at the tailgate...

Haven't done it personally but like I said, read it on another forum. If you can do it w/o removing wiper motor, that's great. :thumbsup:

Let us know how it works out.

I don't see how anyone could think that you would have to remove the rear wiper motor in order to remove a stick-on emblem. The silver bowtie emblem on the rear hatch just 'pulls' off like any other emblem on the car....it is just that it has two little pegs that they use for aligning when they install it. Can someone else please chime in or are we both freakin nuts!?!?!? :clapping:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could think that you would have to remove the rear wiper motor in order to remove a stick-on emblem. The silver bowtie emblem on the rear hatch just 'pulls' off like any other emblem on the car....it is just that it has two little pegs that they use for aligning when they install it. Can someone else please chime in or are we both freakin nuts!?!?!? :clapping:

Maybe I misinterpreted that other post then, maybe they were referring to removing the bezel surrounding the license in order to fill the holes. Or it could be just another case of bad memory. I probably read up to 50 posts/day re: Tahoes, Corvettes, jet skis, etc. Glad you didn't have remove the wiper motor as it sounded like a real PITA.

mikew2069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just removed my rear bowtie for paint and it is definitely just a stick on, but a royal PITA to remove. GL....

07TahoeLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANKS!!!

I just removed my rear bowtie for paint and it is definitely just a stick on, but a royal PITA to remove. GL....

I have my chrome replacement showing up tomorrow. I almost had the stock one off....removing any emblems is easy, just use a very thin credit card like device (something thinner then a credit card and can bend) and just keep working it around the edges pushing into middle..after about 5 minutes, you have broken away enough of the 'glue' that is almost just falls off. I will be sure to put a 'little' silicone in the holes to prevent water from getting in them even after I put the new bowtie on.....hope I get it straight..hehe

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, i know i am bringing this back from the dead... But i want to change out the Hatch Trim with the Hatch Trim from a Yukon (painted black of course)... Anyone know how difficult it is to remove this piece?

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to remove all interior hatch trim and then atleast 1 of the wiper motor bolts...then remove I think 4-6 small nuts from inside tailgate...if you have a backup camera it requires the unplugging of the wire harness...its not too hard of a job...just be careful not to break any of the plastics.

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks..

Now onto locating an already painted Yukon hatch trim piece...:wow:

smoothfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually talked to a parts company today that told me they get alot of the overrun parts for our trucks.... They had the yukon hatch trim piece listed and they are going to send me a picture so i can verify before i order... Best part, they are painted from the factory!!!!

Assuming it is the correct part, this might be a great mod for those who dont want the Emblem (i think they are $~40)

Cant wait to get the pics.. very anxious. :)